Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif I'm shocked that nobody mentioned this.....I went without supper/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif to monitor this thread waiting for it to be said, but nobody said it../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.....WHAT ABOUT DIAMETER? If you use a strap of some kind, there is a minimum PURCHASE DIAMETER to preserve the load rating. The little 5/8" (or is it 1/2") pin is kind of a tight radius for a tow strap. How about slipping a bushing into the loop first to act as a thimble? You know....like they do for big cable anchorages. We just have to think more like riggers if we are going to get Jeeps stuck now and then./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Now go take on the day!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif A nice thick well-fitted bushing that slides in with the strap loop will put double-shear on the pin and do the job..EXCEPT that if you pull sideways it will cut the strap on the edge of the receiver tube. A tow hook with a 2" insert is still about the best for strap work,(less strain on bumper from side-pulls) and a screw-pin shackle with insert would be next./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hey!....I just had a thought....Why not make a screw-pin "D" shackle setup for the receiver, but make it a SWIVEL! You know, a longitudinal pin of prodigious diameter...set in a sleeve..which welds into a 2" insert...which pins into the receiver. That way, a side pull causes it to roll and the shackle always sits "normal" to the strap or rope. It seems that every time I pull someone they are off to the side because I cannot get across the road for the traffic, or simply cannot get a good angle./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif This sounds like something that you would find the ingredients to in an army surplus yard./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I just love army surplus./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gifIf it wasn't for WWII we could never have had all those good farm trucks./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.