Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone had any experience using a recovery strap with the hitch pin on a 2" receiver hitch? (not the ball). Since the strap could be looped around the pin, this would eliminate the need for a tow hook . I was told this could be done, but I have reservations on the strength of the pin. Tomken has a receiver hitch hook they sell:
http://www.tomken.com/partpics/large/tmm-1540-b.jpg
Do you think this is a better way to go? The hitch is a DrawTight installed on a 99TJ. Thanks in advance..
Matt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a friend that made a front bumper with recievers in it, and when we have to tow him, which is usually every run, we use the pin inside the reciever. He hasn't had a problem with it and we have towed him alot. I think it is much better than using the ball.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
4WD Hardware has a D-ring clevis receiver. Shouldn't be hard to fabricate if you wanted to go that way
rather than pay the $33. It looks a lot better than using a hook.

As to the pin, I'd think you could pick the Jeep up by it in sheer but just looping the strap around it might
cause it to bend and sheer off the clip as could a somewhat sideways pull.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just get a 2x2x12 inch piece of box steel, drill it for the pin, drill the other end for a monster clevis and you are done, indestructable too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just make sure you use a good pin and dont worry. a clevis style reciever hook is nice to avoid cutting the strap if you pull off angle.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif I'm shocked that nobody mentioned this.....I went without supper/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif to monitor this thread waiting for it to be said, but nobody said it../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.....WHAT ABOUT DIAMETER? If you use a strap of some kind, there is a minimum PURCHASE DIAMETER to preserve the load rating. The little 5/8" (or is it 1/2") pin is kind of a tight radius for a tow strap. How about slipping a bushing into the loop first to act as a thimble? You know....like they do for big cable anchorages. We just have to think more like riggers if we are going to get Jeeps stuck now and then./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Now go take on the day!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's another thing to think about. The original poster is wondering whether the pin is strong enough to hold the tow strap directly or if he should get a shackle insert instead. What holds that shackle insert from popping out? That's right - the 5/8" pin!!!! Of course it's strong enough. The receiver pin used to hold the shackle insert is the same as the one on the back of the pickup pulling the 10,000 pound trailer (with the proper load distribution setup of course - safety first). Excellent point Dave, the stress is not being distributed over much area on that strap!

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
snowtow

with the pin through the strap, the pin is in shear as well as bending. with a shackle insert, the pin is just in double shear. much stronger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point Will. I didn't think about the bending forces. Nonetheless, the pin is still strong enough to extricate a Jeep from just about any situation it could be in. A SWB Jeep could be hung from that little pin. The real weak point is the hitch and its attaching points. A class III hitch is only rated to 5,000 pounds and most of the winches you see are at least rated to 6,000 pounds or more. The most important thing to use when extricating a stuck vehicle is that thing that sits on top of one's neck!!! :)

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif A nice thick well-fitted bushing that slides in with the strap loop will put double-shear on the pin and do the job..EXCEPT that if you pull sideways it will cut the strap on the edge of the receiver tube. A tow hook with a 2" insert is still about the best for strap work,(less strain on bumper from side-pulls) and a screw-pin shackle with insert would be next./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Checked the book on this today. IF you use a grade 8 bolt for the pin, in double shear it will hold
17.2 thousand pounds.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For the record, I have done this several times with no ill effect that I could see to the pin or the strap. Talking about a 5260 lb curb weight K-5 pulling other fullsize rigs from the mud. Also for the record, I bought one of those warn receiver shackle deals. Worth the money. Sure is a lot easier to hook up than trying to fit a 2" wide strap into a 2" wide receiver and put a pin thru it, all with muddy hands(always ask myself why I'm doing this when I'm not the one stuck-oh yeah because it's FUN!).

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hey!....I just had a thought....Why not make a screw-pin "D" shackle setup for the receiver, but make it a SWIVEL! You know, a longitudinal pin of prodigious diameter...set in a sleeve..which welds into a 2" insert...which pins into the receiver. That way, a side pull causes it to roll and the shackle always sits "normal" to the strap or rope. It seems that every time I pull someone they are off to the side because I cannot get across the road for the traffic, or simply cannot get a good angle./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif This sounds like something that you would find the ingredients to in an army surplus yard./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I just love army surplus./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gifIf it wasn't for WWII we could never have had all those good farm trucks./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.