Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I helped a buddy install a rebuilt AX5 in his wrangler.
When we got it all in, it was hung in 3rd gear.
We tried everything to get it to come out, but it just won't come out of 3rd.
Is there a quick fix or do we have to replace it?
The rebulit transmission came w/a Warrenty.
I know I should have shifted through the gears before installing it, but I guess we were just in a hurry!:(
Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
take it back. i know its a pain, but that is what the warranty is for. next time you will be a little more carefull.
Russ

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I can't help with the AX-5, but my experience with the SM465 may help. I cleaned up and checked the gears on the SM465 before I put it in the jeep. To remove the cover, the shifter must be 1/2 way into reverse, it won't come off another way. When putting it back on, the shifter wasn't lined up correctly, so it was jammed in one gear. It wouldn't shift either. I removed the cover again, and this time made sure I put it back together properly. Also, if you shift it without bolting the top cover on, it can easily slip out of gear. Make sure it's lined up and bolted down. If someone else rebuilt it and you're just installing it, take it back to them and expain the problem, I'll bet it's a simple fix.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friends took the trans back out in 1 hour & 10 min. There is suppoed to be a guy coming from where ever they rebuilt this thing, with a new trans. This one is not going to go in without checking it first, ha ha.P.s., Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.