Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I know there have been a million post on this topic but i dont have time to search. So my question is what all do i need to do this correctly. Ive got all the tools i jus need to know what parts (seals, bearings, etc.) im gonna need. Mom and dad are gonna be out of town this weekend so the garage will be mine.

Thanks in advance

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
parents will be out of town and you will be out in the garage?? Times have changed! You will need seals, bearings, bearing retainers, gear oil and brake fluid. Anybody think of anything else?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be partying but considering my dad shouldnt have seen the age of 21 he knows everything that a male of my age thinks so i cant get away with anything. Plus i promised him i would quit drinkin on new years and i dont lie so im kinda stuck.

I plan on tearing it apart friday after work and hopefully have it all back together by monday before work.

Where do you suggest that i get the parts (seals, bearings, etc.) i hope that i can get in touch with Tim at NCO so that i can get the gear rebuild kit to install my locker.

Thanks

Will
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

Call me stupid but what does this do. I read the article and im not followin how/why its a good thing. Maybe im jus tired or could possibly be the bleach i used to clean my work shirts but im jus not understanding this. Can somebody explain it better.

Thanks

Will
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly

G

·
Will, I assume you are asking about the backing plate conversion. The stock backing plates are held to your axle by the axle bearing and retainer. Everytime you pull an axle the rear brakes have to be completely diassembled and the brake lines disconnected. Also, if you want to carry spare axles on the trail you have to have backing plates already connected to the axle since there is no way to pull the bearings off and replace the backing plates to your spares on the trail. This makes carrying spare rear axles unweildy and inconvenient in the limited cargo capacity of a Samurai. Once you have done the conversion your now modified stock backing plate will stay connected to the axle housing and you pull the axle thru the plate to remove it. Makes carrying spare rear axles much simpler to store. I doubt this expanation is lucid as I've been conscious for about 3 minutes now but I thought I would give it a shot. Hope I did not add to your confusion.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part numbers?

The guy at autozone couldnt find the bearings and seals i needed for my rear axle rebuild. Does anybody happen to know them or maybe the part numbers for another store.

Thanks

Will
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Part numbers?

One more thing, Is there a gasket that goes between the 3rd member and the housing or do i jus use rtv sealant.

Thanks

Will
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: Part numbers?

No gasket. Just Rtv. I've torn mine apart multiple times and it never leaks. Just remove all the old rtv with a razor before you put more on.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts