Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that there is nothing holding the cam from moving forward and backward except the timing chain cover. Is this right, or am I missing something? Most other engines me and my friends have seen had something on the cam to hold it from smacking the timing chain cover.

Thanks for the book on garage and shop tips for AMC V8's you mailed me CJDave... it has come in quite handy in this 360 rebuild.

Jesse

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its right. AMC v8s don't have a "cam button". When I put my 304 into my jeep I tried to find out if there was something available but there wasn't. There was a company who made one but the discontinued it.

My buddy has a 75CJ5 with a 304. His timing set was getting loose. He found it cause the cam walked out and distroyed the distributer gear.

If you find a "button" of any type please let me know. Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way AMC v-8's are supposed to control this is that the cam lobes are angled so that they promote rotation of the lifter, and drive the cam to the back of the block. This works well in the beginning, but over time, the angle flattens out, and once they are flat, they can walk all over the place and chew up the dist gear. - Chuck

Chuck Hadley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.