Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im Tearing down my 302 tomorrow and need to know what if any kit is better than another. Is a forged kit really nesscesary? What kind of rings should i look for? The truck is gonna be a work truck (trailer towing, and hauling, mabye some offroad use). Im going to run the holley carb and an aftermarket cam/intake. IS there anything i should know before i start speding money?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I would recommend using hyperutectic pistons http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page03.htm from Keith Black, instead of forged pistons. The hyperutectic piston is stronger than a cast piston, and less expensive than a forged piston. A forged piston is stronger than a hyperutectic piston. I think a forged piston would be overkill for the engine you describe. I would also recommend using a moly rings with the hyperutectic piston. If your on a limited budget, then regular cast pistons with cast rings will work well, as long as you keep the hauling and towing to less than 6,500 lbs gross vehicle weight. Besure to include the loaded trailer as part of the gross vehicle weight.
dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give the guys at Coast High Performance a call and look at their rebuild and stroker kits migh even look at the 347 short block another good source to talk to is Summit Racing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.