Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i'm going crazy trying to deal with rewrining my tail lights! I have the orignal lights on there, and had to replace them. The plugs on the harness were rotted so bad that they could not be reused. So I cut the plugs of the lights to and was goign to just splice the wires together. Now I can't seem to get the wires back where they are supposed to go!! Okay the problem is I can't figure which wires plug were. There are three wires coming from my harness a green one, white one, and yellow one... The problem is my new lights have red,whit, and black wires. So I don't know which one goes were. I've tried several combos but none work. I can't get teh blinkers to work at all. It just stays solid. I can get the brakes to work correctly but thats it. When the lights are on nothing comes on... So I'm very confused. So if someone can give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jake
oh by the way its and 85 cj7

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
*Jake* said,
*okay i'm going crazy*

Beat Ya!!
I been crazy for all my life! Lets you get away with a lot...
You'll get used to it, and when you do, it's FUN!!
(Crazy like all Custom vehicle owners...)
---------------------------------

*trying to deal with rewrining my tail lights! I have the orignal lights on there, and had
to replace them. The plugs on the harness were rotted so bad that they could not be reused. So I cut the plugs of the lights to and was going to just splice the wires together. Now I can't seem to get the wires back where they are supposed to go!!*

Lets see if we can clear some of this up for you...
Some of this is going to sound strange, but it's all TRUE, I swear....
----------------------------------

*Okay the problem is I can't figure which wires plug were.*

The real problem is the factory used such cheap sh*t that it doesn't live... And once the wiring starts to go, I just keeps on going...
--------------------------------
*There are three wires coming from my harness a green one, white one, and yellow one...*

Best bet,
GREEN one is RIGHT TURN/ RIGHT BRAKE LIGHT.
WHITE one is BOTH TAIL LIGHTS and Plate Light.
YELLOW one is LEFT TURN/ LEFT BRAKE LIGHT.
That means your lights are GROUNDED through the body.

TO START WITH,
1. RUN a BLACK wire from the negative side of the battery to the rear of the vehicle.
This is a temporary VERIFIABLE ground.
DON'T SKIP THIS STEP TO SAVE A FEW FEET OF WIRE!
Hook your test light to it, and use it to ground the lights with.
Make it permanent if the lights fail to work with you unhook it.

2. Take your new tail lights to the battery,
Ground one of the mounting screws, or the black wire, which ever one that carries the ground to the light socket, to the negative terminal of the battery.
Connect the other wires from the light to the positive side of the battery, one at a time.
One should be bright (probably the red), one should be dimmer (probably the white).
Mark the wires for what they do. (Ground, bright, dim...)
(If the lights don't light up here, the lights or bulbs are bad.)

3, Take them to the back of the vehicle.
Connect the GROUND to the mounting screws or BLACK wire you installed, which ever is the ground.
Connect the WHITE wire to both of the DIM light wires, probably WHITE.
(also goes to plate light, if you jeep has a seprate one)
Connect the GREEN wire to the RIGHT SIDE RED WIRE.
Connect the YELLOW wire to the LEFT SIDE RED WIRE.

4. Turn on your PARK lights, but don't leave them on too long.
See if your tail lights and plate light do their thing...

Try your 4 way flashers, but don't leave them on too long.
See if your Emergency flashers do their thing...

Turn you key on, and try the turn signals both right and left.
See if your signals are doing their thing...

If everything works, you are in business... Turn everything off, and start hard wiring...

(If it doesn't, you are going to need someone smarter than me...)

*The problem is my new lights have red,whit, and black wires. So I don't know which one goes were.*

See above.
Test wire all of this to see if I am correct before you do any permanent connections.
I'm kind of playing it by ear here...

EASY WAY TO REMEMBER THIS...
Yellow, left.
Yellow stripe on the road.

Green, right.
Green shoulder on the road.

White, Tail.
White tail deer at night.

Black, ground.
---------------

One trailers, the turn wiring is the same (green & yellow), but ground is usually white, and the tail lights are usually brown.
----------------------------------

* I've tried several combos but none work. I can't get the blinkers to work at all. It just stays solid. I can get the brakes to work correctly but thats it. When the lights are on nothing comes on...*

The Brake lights, the 4 way flashers, and the Turn signals are all the same wire. If one works, they all work, unless there is something wrong besides the tail light wiring.

Tail lights and plate light are on their own circuit.

AGAIN, make sure you test wire everything works before you hard wire everything.

*So I'm very confused. So if someone can give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.*

This may not be help, but it will keep you entertained for awhile...
See, there is a reason we go to many schools for this stuff...

Good Luck,
Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
If you can't figure that out. You might want to just rewire the lights and add a trailer tail light converter. I had the same problems wiring my old willys. I installed recessed waterproof tailights and tried everything to get the blinkers and such to work. i looked into my roomates VW magazine and they had a writeup on wireing tailights with a converter. it works great ever since. But choose the converter with the constant hot wire. this will eliminate any problems of getting power to the lights.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Let us know how it turns out...

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't worry about colors, just figure out which wire is for each element, the bright element is the turn
signal/brake light and the dimmer one is the tail light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts