Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I have a lil question for everyone, On wifeys 96 Bronco the rear window will roll up with the key but not with the switch on the dash. this post is similar to the one below

I took apart the rear tailgate & got to the key switch & all the wires look to be perfect & works great with the key, So I took the dash apart & WHOA!! what kind of switch runs this thing?? I reckon (jus guessing) that theres a 2 ground setup on this switch as theres mulitple wires.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this switch to see if its my problem ?

Thanks in Advance !!
Cheers

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So between the two of us, we can roll our glass up/down with the key _and_ the dash switch.

Sorry, I've not poked around in the dash at all... good luck with it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You might try cleaning the contacts on the switch.Sometimes that will work.Welcome aboard,nice pics.Looks like the deer hunting is pretty good in KY.

Billy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome & hope everyone likes the pics

I have the helms manuals but their out on loan to a buddy.

I thought this might be a common problem particular to these Bronc's & someone might have an easy answer. That switch looks really spendy

I'll keep prodding - Oh I tried a multimeter on the switch's plug,but that didnt go very well

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Dash switch

I probably have a spare switch or 2 lying around somewhere, but it's an excellent design and rarely goes bad. That circuit uses one ground but 2 ground wires between the 2 switches. When neither switch is in use, both wires are grounded at both switches. When either switch is used, it sends one wire hot.

There's a fuse for the front switch and a different for the rear switch, so check that first. If that's all it is, try to figure out why the fuse blew.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Dash switch

Well... I went thru the fuse box under the dash & the power dist box & found nothing but good fuses (I pulled em all just to check)

But I did make a call & got this much on the switch - (from my loaned out shop manual)

On the switch
LB/BK is power window switch feed
BK is ground
P/LG is window regulator switch to window switch up
P/LB is " " down
BK is ground

Soo.. (a electrician I'm not) could anyone tell me how/where to use a jumper wire or 2 to see if I bypass the switch & make the window work ?

Many thanks !!

Cheers

·
Registered
5,301 Posts

LB/BK to P/LG and P/LB to ground is one direction; LB/BK to P/LB and P/LG to ground is the other direction.

When the switch is in the neutral position, P/LB & P/LG are each connected to one of the black grounds, so that the rear switch has ground. Those are the 2 ground wires I was talking about earlier.

If you suspect a fault in the power supply (LB/BK), get your power from something you KNOW works, like the cigar lighter or the headlights.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

when my dash switch went out i found a 2-wire connector in the middle of the tailgate that goes to the motor. i had a stereo back there so i used a couple jumper wires to put it back up just to keep weather/people out til i replaced the dash switch. if you just want to temporarily put the window back up this method will work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: T/G switch

I have recently bought a 1990 Bronco and am having a similar problem with the rear window. The window lowered using the key switch in the tailgate, but will not go up with either the key switch or the dash switch. I thought it might be related to the latches in the rear gate since i understand that there is a switch in them preventing the window from going up when the gate is down. The gate closes well but there is some play in the latches when I pull on the gate. I tried to bypass the latches and the key switch by using a jumper wire from the power lead to the tailgate which the diagram shows as pink/light blue for the up power to the window motor which shows as red/yellow for up. This didn't work. If I use a spare battery to jump the window motor should I only connect power to the red /yel wire for up function? What about ground to the motor?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: T/G switch

Underneath the access panel in the tailgate. You can take 12V straight to the the plug that goes to the motor. If you hook it up one way the window will go down if you reverse the wires the window will go up. That is if your window motor is good and the gears are not stripped out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts