Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need to keep the rear track bar on my 95 YJ? I heard a couple of the shops say to pull it off when I did my lift. I did the lift and left it on but if I don't need it there I'll pull it off. The Jeep is a daily driver with seldom off-road use (as of yet). It has a 4" Superlift and the stock tires for now. Somebody let me know something. Thanks

For those who fight for it, peace has a flavor the protected will never know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ran with one for a while after lifting my jeep. Then pulled it off to see if it would flex more. I drive it everyday now without it. I can't tell enough difference on-road without the rear trac-bar to justify trying to bolt it back on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not running mine... looks really cool hanging on the wall, next to the sway bar links, stock pitman, the busted u-joint yoke, etc... When i did the lift (SOA) i couldn't run it.... I have pulled (temporarily) the front one too (actually broke the bolts out wheeling) it was an interesting ride home, the JEEP feels like it pushes going into corners, and then starts to turn, i think it's the "slop" in the springs, they let the axle slide a bit. Get rid of it...
Later
BJ

PS the front is in now... drives much better

to hell with it, lets go wheelin'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the front or rear on right now, works fine, bought some Arkael telescoping ones though, havn't had the time to put them on....

Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ 4.5in. RE Ext. Duty
'57/49 Willys Wagon Delivery 4x4 350

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
track bars are made to keep the axle located side to side (keeps it from slightly shifting from left to right during sideward G's, improves on-road handleing)
Now if you have stiffer than factory leaf springs you most likely won't notice a difference with it on or off.
CJ's never came with them from the factory (but CJ's never handled on-road as good a a YJ either)
DON'T TAKE THEM OFF A TJ/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I listened to people on this board and removed my rear track bar when I installed my lift. I don't think it gave me any extra flex or better ride but what it did was put much more stress on my stock shackles and one eventually broke. The shackles are designed to only guide the spring while it moves front and back. If you remove the track bar nothing will prevent the axle from moving sideways except the shackles. This amounts to a lot of stress from side to side, something the shackles are not designed to handle. Also the fact that we tend to loosen up the shackles a bit from more flex and better ride makes this worse. I don't recommend that you take your track bar off but if you have to make sure you upgrade your shackles to beefier ones.

Hope this helps.
A.B.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like everyone is in agreement. I will take the thing off and go with stronger shackles like I had intended to in the first place. Thanks for the input.

For those who fight for it, peace has a flavor the protected will never know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't worry about your shacles, they only cost $4.00 no big deal. I broke one side in the front on a trail one day and still ran the trail without a problem. In fact I didn't replace it for a week. Keep your stock shackles, they flex much better!
my2

Rob
yellowfordyJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also took off both my trackbars and dont really notice it much... at least not as much as driving my jeep with a 4" suspension lift and no drop pitman arm. I do disagree about the comment about the stock shackles. they are definately weak. although they may help the spring twist a little more freely at full compression and droop, longer stronger shackles will have greater leverage on the spring so up and down travel will increase. just keep the bolts tight enough to stay on but not squish the bushing. rubber bushings flex more the poly by the way. anyway. for flex, get longer shackles. then if you break you always have your stock ones as a spare.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.