Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the bushings replacable on the rear track bar for my 89 jeep? It bangs everytime I shift gears and go over bumps. It has a 4" pro comp lift.

·
Registered
341 Posts
why do you still have a trackbar on the rear?....ive had mine off for almost 4 years now, and i havent noticed anything negative. its a leaf sprung suspension.....how far could it possibly shift? it serves almost no purpose on the street, and its anti-wrap function is less than marginally functional.

on the trails, its nothing but worthless.....limits articulation in a major way.

take it off, and not worry about it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
And while you are taking it off, take off the front also because you dont need them. I don't even have a sway bar on the front of mine, just the tie rod and drag link!

·
Registered
965 Posts
leave the front. remove the rear. My rubicon express lift kit didn't come with a rear braket. and the instructions say to lose it.

so lose it dude.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i still run my front track bar, along with jks disconnects. ive never had a problem with the front track bar getting in the way of wheeling. sway bar-yes, track bar-no.

if you were running a tj, i would say leave it, and get a telescoping track bar. on the trail you can get away without one, but on the street, the coils are gonna wander all over the place.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
YOU CAN'T USE A TELESCOPING TRACK BAR ON A TJ!!! It's only for the YJ. The TJ MUST have a solid track bar since it is the ONLY thing keeping the axle positioned side to side.

·
Registered
341 Posts
woah...cool your jets elroy......i can understand being told im wrong or mis-informed, but thats a wee bit much. would you like some of the teeth back that you left in my neck? i have a yj....im very familiar with how and what it takes with mods. i try to stay somewhat informed on cj and tj stuff, but its more for ratted away ideas than anything else. i had thought (and i will admit when im wrong) that i had seen someone come out with a telescoping track bar for the tj rears. i was wrong. they DO make adjustable rear track bars for cj's, yj's and tj's. and telescoping track bars for yj's, and maybe cj's. i'm not too sure about the cj side, and most likely i am wrong on that one too.

i know that the track bar is VERY important to the rear of the tj for street use. i have heard, but not seen guys disconnecting it for trail use. the connecting links would do some axle locating duties, but i dont know how strong just the connecting links would be off-road.

like i said earlier, my area of experience, not expertise (very important disclaimer) is yj's. i have no problems with someone saying that my sources are wrong, or i'm mis-insformed, or at the worst, just plain wrong (like that hasnt happened before?).

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
I was just making sure the point was seen, no offense intended. The YJ has the leaf springs that locate the axle. The TJ's coil springs have no lateral stability by themselves.

Here are some pictures to try to explain it.

In these two, the four locating links are parallel with the frame providing absolutely no lateral locating. If the panhard rod was not there, the axle could move back and forth as far as the joints on the other four arms would allow, (up to a few feet each way.)

Here is an example of a four link that doen't need a panhard rod but none of the jeeps have this.

Here is the site I got the pictures from.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, i'll lose the rear track bar for sure. Now if it helps out with articulation for the rear axle then i'll be really happy, it lifts the rear tire off the ground to easily. I thought that a locker was a definate if that persists... I probaly still will get a locker for it, lot easier climbing rocks. I now definately need to get some disconnects for the front sway bar, suspension doesn't like to flex at all. My 95 2500 ram has awesome flex with 38's, wish the jeep could be so good. Still lots of fun and i've only had it for a week :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.