Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a newbie to fixing up my jeep. had my yj for 5 yrs, and only started to build it up. the front is sagging real low and the back is real high(front tire is 2" from touching the flares, and back is 5" from the flare).

I know that the bullbar is the cause of this(that suckers heavy, took me and my brother to lift it up and put it on), and i will be getting a winch soon. I still have the stock springs and noticed that the front springs have 4, while the rear has 5. why does the fron have one less spring? i would think that the front would need more since their is more weight due to the engine? well I was thinking about getting the HD 6 leaf springs from JC whitney for the front, but they are listed as rear springs, will those fit? and is 6 too much, will 5 be enough? keep in mind that im getting a xd9000 warn soon.

thanks in advance for any advice and help. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the rears are usually longer than the fronts so they will probably not fit, if you contact a suspension manufacturer they will most likly be able to line you up with a heavy duty spring designed to carry the extra weight on the front. or you could go with an add-a-leaf setup.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Dano, how about just adding leaves to the existing springs. Cheaper, and that way you can customize them to fit your particular job.

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you g add a leaf make sure you get full length leaves, not the short thick ones. I've had experience with the main spring bending
right in front of one of the short add a leaves.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... I'm running rear springs on the front. My goal was more articulation. I chose aftermarket, small-lift springs, intended for the rear of a YJ Wrangler, and I am using them on the front of a CJ-7 chassis. Yeah, I gained some wheel-base, and yeah, I moved the front shackle support, and replaced the shackle support with a wider one, intended for the rear. All four of my springs are identical. Works for me. And, it was/is simple.

bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used front springs from the front of wagoneers all the way around my wrangler, 5 leaf on front and 7 leaf on the rear and it seems to work and ride very well. The springs are overall only about 2 inches longer than wrangler front springs, and only about an inch longer than rear wrangler springs. You could use a longer shackle or maybe this would be a good time to consider a shackle reversal. Bolts right up to the wrangler setup.

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The YJ front and rear springs are the same lenght. The rears have five leafs and the fronts only have four. You can mount the rears in the front with no problem. Aslo, if you have a set of old springs laying around, you can cut the spring eye's off the main leaf and add them to your pack as a full lenght add-a-leaf. I did a YJ spring conversion to my CJ2. I used the rear springs for the front. Even with the extra leaf, the pack sagged slightly under the weight of a V8 and a winch. I added the extra leaf and solved the problem.
One note, With the YJ springs and spring over, I cannot lift the front tires off the ground using a high lift jack. This is good untill I need to change a tire.
Rob
<br%3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok- someone tells me that the front and rear springs are different lengths and someone tells me otherwise, i need clarification on that.

if i just add one full length leaf- where do they sell em? I don't have any local pickand pull yards- that sucks.

thanks for the help guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two people told you they were the same lenght, and one person told you he "believes" the rears are longer than the fronts. In most cases, this would be correct. Most rear springs are longer then the fronts, but not on a YJ. You can swap rears to the front with no problem. You have a YJ, crawl under and measure them for yourself!
Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a tape measure go check your springs and see for yourself. The rear springs are less than 1 inch longer than the front springs and that diff is in the rear segment of the spring. Not enough to really make a difference. On the front I think its the rear segment that is the same length as the front segment of the rear spring. Basicaly you would take the rear spring and turn it end for end to use it on the front. That would cause your front shackles to lean a little further toward the front of your jeep, thats if they both had the same # of leafs. If you replace a 4 leaf with a 5 leaf I don't beleive you'll notice a diff in the position of the shackle because of the additional arch. Put your 5 leafs on the front and pick up a set of 5 or 6 leaf front springs from an early 80s wagoneer and use those on the rear with 1 inch longer shackles. They will bolt right up to your wrangler. Or you could do the same thing on the front to get a little more lift.

Mopar360yj
D60-44-4.10

·
Registered
668 Posts
YJ springs are the same length all the way around. Some YJ's came with 5 leaves up front and 4 in back. AMC and then Chrysler sourced parts from at least three manufacturers for springs. If you are satisfied with the ride quality of your jeep then leave the rear springs where they are and buy some salvadge yard springs. Most likely though, you will not find stock springs that will support the weight you have up front. Many cities have a truck shop that can fabricate leaf springs with the spring rate and load characteristics you need and still have a good ride. Most good shops can weigh your vehicle front and rear and build from that if you tell them the desired ride height (loaded/unloaded). Remember: lots of thin leaves are better than a few thick ones (more expensive to). I bought 4 custom springs with 4" of lift for $400 at a shop where I live.

Hope this helps.

I know of several good books and technical essays on leaf spring technology if you would like to look them up. I am an engineer so I get a little anal with things some times.

IMHO
Hank

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YJ's from '87-'91 had different length springs Fand R. After that the difference is negligible (0.6").

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I went and measured my leafs on my other frame which I had done before I posted and earlier reply to this post, and knew for a fact that the rear springs ARE longer than the front on the rear segment of the spring. Not by very much, but they are longer. So swaping rears to the front shouldn't be a problem. Steve

Mopar360yj
D60-44-4.10

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.