Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about decided to get rid of the rear springs on my scrambler.I'm running spring over with add a leaves, and apparently still have to much rap.I'm on my 3rd set of gears now!!! I have a 2-wheel s-10,and a few 4-wheel full size's .Will any of those work? Does anyone know what will?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds to me like you need a anti-wrap bar, rather then new springs.

I am sure you could find a set of springs that would be stiff enough to prevent or minimize your spring wrap, but to what end? You would be giving up one of the benefits of the SOA, that is a very flexible suspension...

PartsMike sells an anti-wrap device, and I've seen designs for others that you could make your self... Its a single bar setup that mounts close to the pumpkin. It will prevent spring wrap but not interfere with articulation.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Added leaves and still have rap? Must be pushing some torque back to them springs. If you're running over 300hp to a geard down rear end, I'd definitely go with some anti-wrap bars!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I weld a bracket to one of the tubes and go to the frame,and still get the articulation? It seems to me that if I build one that it wont be able to move up and down right.Almost like it needs to have a slip of some sorts.Is there a certain angle it needs to be to work correctly ? I would hate to break a heim joint on the trail and have a dangler!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Most of the 4x4 one's go from the axle to the skidplate. This length remains the same under articulation, you will just need a pivot joint at each end with bushings, similar to how a shackle connects to the leaf spring.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check out http://www.samsoffroad.com product section, traction bar.

this is the est up I plan on using, the shackle allows articulation but the way it is mounted the axle can not pivot up creating acle wrap. or you could try longer springs that are stiffer then what you have now, the extra length will make up for stiffness when it comes time to flex

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing that I can figure is the u-joints bind for a second and BANG!! It could very well be those darn genuine gears.I've got Dana gears for it this time, but I'm still afraid that it'll do it again.I just called Sams about that hodaddy traction bar of theirs.It cost 295.00!!! where can you get johnny joints?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try Currie Enterprises for the Johnny joints. John Currie is the one who came up with them. You might also try Tomken. They use Johnny joints on their stuff also but I'm not sure if they sell just the joint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.