Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being bored this afternoon, I decided its time to spend more money on the jeep. This is a problem when you don't have much $$ (just did a T-18 swap), so I decided new 3/8 lift Confer shackles would fit the bill. After returning from my second trip to the parts store (who could anticipate the bushings would need replaced? duh, I'm so stupid sometimes) I commenced taking stuff apart. I can't seem to get the rear spring bolts to budge in order to replace the bushings. I got the nut off and whacked it pretty good with a sledge, but it ain't moving. I am seeking wise and sage advice from all you veteran modificators before I get my torch out and do something dumb.
Thankx

82 CJ-7, 258, T-18, Dana 300, the rest stock so far

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most of the reason that the bolt is stuck is due to the gas tank. You can do 2 things....first you can lower your gas tank or second you can take off the bushing on the side towards the gas tank off and that should give you enough play on the bolt to slide it out at an angle. thats the way I did it. I didnt want to take my chances on a torch and gas being an issue.....and I tried a hacksaw but Im not a big guy and I had an old blade and this happened to be a sunday night. when everything is closed. 2nd shackle lift done ..... man that bolt is always a pain ....why couldnt they just have faced it the other way?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best way I know is to unbolt the upper bushing bracket from the frame, lower the whole mess and then work on the shakels. Ken

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I just replaced mine a couple days ago. I had to remove the shackle hanger from the frame so I could then beat the hell out of the bolt to get it off. When it gets rusty, it expands and brute force, massive heat, destructive cutting implements, or photon torpedos are required.
The metal sleeves are only on the front end of the rear springs and the back end of the front springs. The other ends just have 2-piece bushings, so if you cut off the enlarged end of the bushing (obviously you're gonna have to buy new ones), then the whole thing should slide out (or should I say, be forced out) the other end. Good Luck.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.