Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one of the rear brackets off today and I observed that the bolt that goes through the shackle stock is a 7/16 bolt and that the bolt on the F250 hanger I bought from the wrecking yard is a 1/2" bolt. Is there a bushing kit that will accept a 1/2 bolt? Any and all help apreciated. NORM

G

·
I never noticed that Norm but you could be right. I'd probably just take the inner metal sleeve for any old bushing and drill it out to 1/2", I think there would still be enough metal left.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
that's odd, mine was the same. what year truck did you pull yours from? i better make a note of that in my write-up. one thing that might work is to go buy some replacement bushings for an f250 and see if their outer diameter is the same as your shackle... basically an adapter bushing. or if you can find the right size metal sleeve you can bore out the rubber a little and slide it in there. dunno which would really be easier.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may try to drill it out. I had thought of that but I'm worried about it binding up. I only have 4 more rivits to grind off!
. I'm hoping I don't have to cut my exhaust. It looks like it is bolted onto the mufler with a U clamp so I'll keep my fingers crossed and wait till tomorow. Here is a little BigNorm shop advice: When you slam your thumb with a big 5-10 lb hammer get a needle and light it with a lighter till the end glows red. Then put the point onto the nail of the thumb you smashed and melt a little hole in the top of your nail. This will relieve the pressure of the blood building up under the nail. Make more than one untill the blood flows out. Then it starts to hurt because it is healing and has air on it from the holes not because of excess pressure. Still hurts but not as bad.
I hate rivets!!!
NORM

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
like i say before, you guys all need to invest in a quality torch, it makes short work of rivits.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I think I would be just too dang dangerous with a torch. I couldn't handle the power......never tell what the next thing to get the torch would be.

Sorry to hear about the finger Norm. I'll take my remedy over yours....BEER....
Take it out on your bushings! How's the front going? Was wondering how the project was coming along.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
dangerous, nah!
hell i didnt even remove the tire.

hell, i even have cut off 3 gas tanks now with the torch!

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
man that is too close to the tank for me.... are you trying to make a sequel Burned?

at first i tried to grind the whole rivet off, but then i started using the wheel to cut it along right at the bracket, and when i got about half way through i used a big flathead to pry it and it broke off. saved me a whole lotta time, but i think drilling would be really fast, probably as fast as the torch. it took the junkyard guy forever to get mine off with the torch, but they are definitely not experts with that thing

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
it looks closer to 5" to me, but i havent measured vs stock yet. i am using the wedge at the moment but they are gonna be gone tomorrow because i have too much upward angle on the pinion. i'm going to put the springs right onto the axle tomorrow and see how the angle looks and if i really need a block, which i probably dont anyway. i will have to use some washers though because the stock ubolts are not threaded far enough to allow running without some sort of block. i bet running a flat block or no block at all will yield perfect pinion angle, but i'll let ya know for sure tomorrow

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Re: Thumb problem

my friend just got over his busted finger. he got it good while we were working on a roof and of course i was giving him sh1t... until the next day when it was blue in the middle and bright green at the tip, and the size of a jumbo weenie! he eventually had to go to the hospital and they cut it open to relieve pressure then x-rayed him... he had shattered the bone in 3 places. OUCH

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Green! Wow that sux. I'm glad I had my medic buddy with me to help relieve the pressure with that hot needle trick. Now it's healing under there and it feels like the nail is detaching itself. If it didn't hurt so damn bad it would be cool!
on a good note: I'm finally done! I can't tell you guys the feeling of accomplishment I feel in having installed an entire lift myself! I had a friend help me but I still am proud to have accomplished this myself. The project inclused a Rancho 4" suspension with extended radius arms up front. And a reverse shackle flip in the rear. I found that it was damn near impossible to get bolts through with the tank there so I just did the rear 2 and drove carefully to a muffler shop and had them burn two beads up the front side of the hanger. It is on there and It is not coming off!
There is a new problem though: My rear window isn't working and none of the fuses are blown. I know someone is going to say I cut a wire but I dont know where. I was extremely carefull not to hit any of the wires. Maybe I need to check again. NORM

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Very cool Norm, I bet your rig is gonna work very well. And you should be proud, that was a heck of a lot of work. But looking back I know you will find that it was worth it. good job man!!!!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Got a painful one for you

The day I attempted to sawzall off my broken leaf spring shackle bolts this happened. I decided to go to the fridge and get a drink in my sock feet. Someone had already been there, spilled some water on the floor and hadn't wiped it up. The front cover at the bottom of the fridge was off, where the drip tray is.

My sock foot contacts water, slips under the fridge and a piece of sheet metal rams up under my big toe nail, seperating it completely from toe. Oh momma that was painful, think I screamed like a girl until I realized there was no one around to appreciate it. Then I had to used my other foot to pry myself off the sheet metal. Then it started to bleed like a stuck pig.

Hopped over to the laundry room sink and ran it under cold arctic tap water until it stopped bleeding bad enough to get it wrapped in elastoplast bandages. Didn't get to the hospital until hours later, as I had the warm bay to do the springs in for only for Saturday. When I did reach the hospital there was nothing they could do for me. Took over two years, but most of the nail is back.

No one ever fessed up to spilling that water though

Sixlitre

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Ow! My poor buds newborn heard words she should have no knowledge of untill her teans. Poor baby. Today I was putting in another back seat. This one has cushy cloth upholstry. Hell it was free and matches the two front seats I have now. Anywho as I was pulling those silly clips out that hold the dowls in my right thumb hooks onto something and I almost finnished the job! I thought I tore it off for sure. Nope only half way. The pain only lasted a minute this time as opposed to the ten minutes of dancing and swearing when I slamed it with the 10 lb sledge. I guess I'm lucky to still have a thumb at all. NORM

1 - 20 of 25 Posts