Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Overhang on \"Serious\" trail Jeepster

I'm considering building a new trail rig project using a Commando tub. I will be using YJ frame and stretching it to ideally 101+ inches. Main reason for the wheelbase is dual transfer cases.

I have access to another Commando tub, but my main concern is the rear overhang on the tub. How are you guys that have serious off-road Commandos dealing with this overhang.

(Note: This project will use 78 Ford F250 axles which were SOA and reverse rotation Dana 44 front/full float Dana 60 rear, with YJ flat springs and no more than 35" tires)

Thanks in advance fellers...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Rear Overhang on \"Serious\" trail Jeepster

35'' tires on full size housings are a little small. for that size tire, scout with is perfect. if
your tire size doesn't go up proportionally with axle width, you'll end up dragging the
diff's everywhere. going to a bigger tire 38'' at least, will yield better results, as well
as fix you over hang problem. this jeep has scout housings and 38's.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Toad,

I'm running 33" tires on my CJ now (Dana 44s - Wagoneer full width) and am getting along fine. Never been a big fan of excessive lift and prefer cutting wheel wells to lift. I prefer the low center of gravity.

One positive to rear overhang is it's hard to go over backwards.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

he runs some sort of chevy motor 305 or 307 or somthing. scout housings hold up well with 38's, but that is the cutoff. anything bigger and you've got mess.
i personally don't worry about the over hang, hell once i'm that far, i'll drag that bitch off the rock. thats what big bumpers are for. oh and move the tank in the bed

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Toad, That flex is sick in the best possible meaning of the word! How does your's feel when you get all 4 tires on a steep side hill? Does it want to unload the springs and lean? I cant belive I havent gone for a ride in it yet!
Mad John looked pretty excited on that climb that took your wheel off!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

sheit, that pic is @ 6 years old. it actually flexs a better now that i've tweeked it alittle.
it's not a daily driver. on a side hill, it'll make you pucker, but is surprizingly stable. when it does go over, you ain't got far to go!

·
Registered
5,512 Posts

Speaking of Mad John, did he fall off the earth? Been waiting on some JAM pics for 2 months now. I think the "lay over" in the ditch and the ride up the steps took there toll on him!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

My H/C passed inspection with a cell in the bed, BUT, it's seperate from the passenger area. You might have to fab some sort of bulkhead just for inspections,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

BillM,

Thanks for posting the picture of your bobbed Jeepster. This is what I was after. It looks good, but like a CJ8 with full doors. Since I'll be using a YJ frame (stretched), I may be better served stretching a CJ/YJ tub behind the door to get my desired wheelbase.

I have a difficult time thinking about cutting a Jeepster/Commando body up when there's so few of them around.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

MadJohns knuckles might still be hurting.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

Bill M has the idea, just cut it off. I did the same thing, I took 13" off the tub, 16" off the frame. I bobbed it like a PU truck though, and put the sheetmetal on the very end back on the tub. It worked pretty well, still looks like a Jeepster, but it was very hard to get everything lined up right to weld back on. I have a 14 gallon jaz cell in the bed, so there are no fuel tank clearance issues. I am going to take off more of the frame and replace it with round tube, I am going with a triangulated 4 link setup, just waiting for some funds to finish the project.

Don't waste your time trying to fit a YJ frame on a Jeepster/Commando just go with a YJ, why cause more work? Just cut the wheelwells all the way back to the tailgate, bob the front fenders, and make it a 100-105" wheelbase. Juys do it all the time out here. My friend has a CJ-7 with a 107" wheelbase, he just trimmed to fit.

·
Registered
281 Posts

I was looking at my dads Jeepster the other day. What about strecthing the rear wheels out to the back insted of bobing it? Think it would get high centered easy?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Bill, how did you put the rear of your pan back together after you shortened it up??? did you use a cj rear skin or did you just use sheet metal. Mine is highly cancerous and I removed it from the seam backwards and am contimplating using a cj rear but the top channels are different heights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Instead of moving the tank I build a 1/4" steel skid plate that bolts across the frame in the front and to the read cross member. Actually I did this because I had a tank bust loose on a trail and tear my filler hose off. I had to tie it up with rope and drive 50 miles home 1/2 a gallon at a time. But it does stop me from creasing the bottom of the tank. I was thinking about casters on the rear end but have never really had any over hang problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.