Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
also....
does the seal surface on the crank itself have a groove worn in it? if this is hi-milage or hi-wear engine it might. this groove will prevent a good seal. only fix I know of is to remove the crank, weld the groove full then re grind bearing surface. almost might as well re-build at that point, eh? I had a 258 like that once and dealt with the slight leakage.
can't remember for 100%, but I'm mostly sure the block and brg cap mating surfaces need to kept free of any sealant to maintain proper brg clearance. sealant between these surfaces could also lead to poor seal.

sorry for these but I hafta ask -
did you put the seal in the right way... so oil pressure forces the seal lip against the crank seal surface?
did you use a torque wrench? ...and tighten the bolts in sequence progressively, so gasket and sealant will be compressed evenly but not pinched out?

·
Registered
521 Posts
sorry
to answer your actual question...
I think you can remove the cover which closes off the bottom portion of the trans (just a few bolts) and peer up with a flashlight between the flywheel & oil pan. like Leve said, clean it all off first. way easier to see where the oil is from.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.