Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired an ARB air locker for the front of my '95 XE-V6. I will be installing this soon, my question is what do you guys recommend for the rear. I would love to get another ARB but there is no way that I can afford it. So what is the consencus, a detroit, a limited slip, or something else. I mainly drive this truck on the road (it is a '95 with over 100K) but it sees it's share of wheeling. I don't think I will mind the locker, but I don't really know how bad it is, wheel hop wise.

-Tim

[email protected]
http://members.xoom.com/vtwheelers/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tim,
The arb is the prime choice here. The detroit is a nice locker, but is full time. (ie, noisy, and turning radius wont be as good, road manners will be decreased a little). The factory limited slip diffs are great, mine has held up well, and taken me places I thought a locker was needed, but its not the best for heavy trail use. The detroit requires the open carrier too, if you dont have the open diff from the factory, you will need the carrier in addition to the diff itself. Arb is expensive, but is nice since you can turn it off. Its complicated to install, and the o-rings require some attention now and again, but I think it would be worth it to have. Im looking into a gear swap in my 94 Path, and doing the rear arb while im in there. Thats my 2 cents on the ordeal!

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might want to consider using the ARB in the rear and a Detroit up-front?
Just some food for thought???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First question is: do you already have limited slip in the rear? I have a 95 XE too and its got it. Jack up the rear, put it in neutral and spin a tire, if the other one goes the same way its a limited slip (posi). Do you ever drive in ice/snow? then a locked rear would be icky, I have posi in the rear and just going up a moderate hill is a nifty experience that a locker would magnify 10X. It tends to slide sideways...fun if you have room, scary around parked cars. (Ok Ok maybe I over revved the engine a leeettle bit but hey ya gotta learn the limits somehow, right? :)

Save a few bucks (or atleast earn some interest)...install the ARB up front and is you do have the posi rear then leave it alone...see how it does.

BTW I am jelious, an ARB Dang! I'd love to even just have the compressor with the tire kit. Its on the wish list for sure...maybe the tooth fairy will bring my son one in a couple years.

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you should have kept you eyes more attuned and read a few more posts. I found my air locker, compressor, and lift kit all from Mark on the old board, and for a damn good price. All the info you could ever want is out there, someone has been there and tried it before, or has a different idea, that might be better. In the little amount of time I have been using this forum I have learned than I ever thought possible. So in conclusion, read everything, even if it doesn't apply to you, you never know what you will find or learn, or....be able to teach. I'll get off my soapbox now

-Tim

[email protected]
http://members.xoom.com/vtwheelers/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rear locker-ARBs are not reliable. GET THE DETROIT.

I know everyone is applauding the ARB on this site. It is a great product but it has major failures b/c it is too complicated. I would only consider putting an ARB in one axle, not both. The fulltime locker in the other axle will get you home WHEN your ARB fails you. Notice I said when, not if. Eventually it will happen.

Perhaps the best way to explain my reasoning is to ask you a few questions (and BTW, I've owned a lockright, ARB and Detroit Softlocker). Why are you considering buying a locker? I am assuming that you are considering a locker so that you can get down even nastier trails. If that is the case, you have to get back out again. What happens if your locker (that was necessary to get you this far into a nasty trail) fails you while you are on that trail? You guessed it. You now have a much longer day in store for yourself.

Detroit Softlockers are the most reliable, set it and forget it locker you will ever buy short of a spool. Why would you want anything less in the middle of nowhere?

Just something to think about.
Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Rear locker-ARBs are not reliable. GET THE DETROIT.

I'd have to agree!!! I don't have one in as of yet but once the old cash flow builds back up I'll be looking detroits all the way. Some of my freinds run ARB's and they spend half the time wheeling and the other half trying to find out if the ARB is working or not, not to mention the compressors etc, and the thought of drilling my diff's No Thankyou???

Chris James
"Go Solid or Go Home"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts