Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the notorious R.F.R(not a rapper)...the driver's side rear portion(about 18inches, from cross-member to front)of the frame is rotted out and needs a fix this weekend...anyone know of a good fix/temp fix???anyone had any experience with this?? all information is appreciated:) thanks...oh yeah the spring-hanger is being pushed up, due to the rot...just wanted to let know that the hanger was directly involved as well...thanks again

· Registered
328 Posts
There is a page in the Tech section, but darned if I can find it..........

I did a fix on my ' 84 CJ7. Used some 3/16" by 3" steel. Welded 3 pcs together to form a channel, drilled 2 holes in the bottom for the spring hanger, and welded it up under the bad part of the frame (after cleaning it up and removing the rusty part as best I could). Mine was only bad about the last 6 to 8 inches, so no curves to go around.

M.O.R.E. makes some 3' long stamped frame stiffeners you could use. They cost $150.00 and go on pretty much the same way I did mine.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/FramePlates/framep.htm

Sorry, I can't remember how to make it show up as a web address right now.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

· Registered
657 Posts
I'm doing the same thing this weekend. I bought some steel (I'm lucky a local manufacter sells new scrap for ten cents a lb) 3/16 thick. I'm just going to make an outline of my frame, cut the steel probably with a welder to save time to the contour of the frame and weld it on. It will probably be a day job, but I'll only have ten bucks into it and it should last a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 73 had a badly rusted rear frame (12 inches at least, gave the rear some serious flex though) and my welder said that if i added pieces to repair it. it would just start cracking wherever those new pieces ended unless we boxed it all the way. he ended up making some small patches and welding tube VERTICALLY inside the frame( i think i saw 6, 2inch around by three inch(frame inner height)tall tubes inside each frame rail.) he said this would be strong but still alloy the frame to flex like its supposed to....hes not some crackpot backyard welder either(like you may be thinking) he owns his own shop and builds Bitchen race trucks! (i can only afford him because he is a friend of a friend) its worked great for about 3 years of HARD sand running( im not good at keeping my wheels on the ground!) anyways it worked for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.