Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I were discussing the fact if he changed from a manual transmission, he would also need to get an offset pumpkin rear end, like a quadratrack offset. His response was only a quadratrack needed the offset, and a regular automatic would be the same as a manual rear end..What is correct? Which direction would be the offset? As usual thanks for the help...seeya...

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
as far as i know, only the q-track and the OLD dana 18 x-fer cases used offset rear ends. if your friend runs a torqueflight tranny with a dana 300, it will be centered... just like the auto jeeps from the factory are centered

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I agree with mr elusive.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
The tranny has nothing to do with the axle offset. It is the transfer case that drops the axles. If you use the same transfer case the the axles are the same. You would have to have new driveshafts built though since auto trannies are longer than manuals

Al
My web page

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
not allways... just today me and jeepgod pulled a t-18 from an old J-pickup and it had a spacerbetween the tranny and the bellhousing, making the driveline exactly the same length as the th400/q-track combo we had laying right next to it. i doubt they ever put that spacer into a cj, but i don't think a tf 999 or 904 is much longer than a t-18 or t-5

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.