Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 74 CJ5 with a swapped in T18A and a
model 20 behind it. It was done by the p.o. with advanced adapters parts. The adapters don't leave much rear driveshaft especially with my 4 inch lift. There are 3 inches of spacers lowering the trans and I would like to remove them. What can I do to reduce vibrations after I do this?
Also, will a 300 transfer case bolt to my adapter?
Finally, what year Jeeps can provide donor axles to fit my 74?
Thanks, Gibby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple of questions first. What is "the p.o." and why are you wanting to do an axle swap? Are you running tires larger than 33's? If not the Dana 44 that you have in the rear is plenty strong. Wow! Three inches of spacers! Does your engine rub against the firewall? I just am having trouble picturing three inches of spacers below the frame. I have the same setup that you have (assuming you have an AMC motor) and have no spacers whatsoever. My tranny/xfer case mount bolts directly to the frame and I had to go to a CV type driveshaft to eliminate vibration. I believe that with the Jeep parked in my garage the distance from the center of the t-case yoke to the rear diff yoke was around 16 inches. As for bolting a 300 to your adapter, it's a no go. The bolt pattern is completely different as well as the input gear. Also a Dana 300 would make for an even shorter rear driveshaft (1/2" or so for the short version).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.