Off Roading Forums banner

Rear Differential

358 Views 4 Replies 0 Participants Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
G
Hey,

what is the difference exactly between a manual and automatic transmission's rear differential (model 20) on a '77 CJ-7? I have heard there is a difference in the spacing, how much is there, and can I absorb it with a different drive shaft if I were to swap axles?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G
Maybe a better way to ask it is this: What would happen if I put on a pair of stock '79 axles from an automatic CJ-7 onto my Manual CJ-7 with a T-150? Will the driveshafts line up and fit?

G
If the automatic has a Quadra-Trac behind it, the answer is no. The pumpkin is offset to the passenger side with the QT and yours is centered. The angle created with the centered output of the T-case and offset input of the diff is too great for the u-joints to absorb. Check it out though, someone may have put the automatic in there with a transfer case with a centered output.

G
how much is it off center? I can measure that and see. I bought the axles off of the vehicle, so I don't know what they had driving it for sure

G
The QT rear axle is offset to the passenger side making it (I think exactly) in line with the offset of the front axle. You would know by looking at it if it is offset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.