Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sprung a leak in the driverside one that starts at the proportioning valve and runs along the frame to a junction by the gas tank. That runs into the rubber hose part. Anybody do this lately. The rusted one is 12 years old and I can't get it to come off at the junction box. I wd 40'd it but no help. Looks like i'm gonna have to cut it? Do they make that piece form fitted or is it you bend and shape? Cost?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: Rear brake line

If you can't find one in a junkyard, you're gonna have to bend it yourself, which isn't too difficult. You can split it at the union under the floorboard and get it down to about 4 feet. I have a couple, but I dunno what shipping would cost, and they're very comon at junkyards. If you use Liquid Wrench and flare-nut wrenches, you should be able to break it loose at the frame by the tank. Take it to a car wash & blast all the crud outta there before you start working on it, then let the LW soak as long as possible.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ya I got the new lines and bought a new hose. I couldn't get it out so I fabbed from a piece of stainless a holding bracket. Which actually worked out nice and gave me about 3 more inches of of hose for flexing so if I put a bigger lift on I wouldn't have to extend the line. I attached a pic. Not a good angle. It's actually about 4 inches away from the exhaust. The pics makes it look like they're kissing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Slickerthanyou

Looks like you got yourself fixed up this time. Try this for next time. I've worked on a lot of old, dirty, rusty vehicles up here in the salt-belt and I find you have to sacrifice the line usually. Don't even try a flare wrench, cut the line off, hammer a six point socket onto the nut holding the hose to the bracket and go at it (preferably after a good LW soaking or with some heat).

You might have to keep wasting the next line, the next hose, etc,etc until you get to the master, like a British car, but hopefully not.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I did try that six, but it kept on rounding. I tghink there is a clip that holds it. That is what i tried for next but got too pissed-off. at least now it's not resting on the exhaust!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts