Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been thinking about doing this for awhile now and after this weekend of getting mud in my rear drums and not having much stoping power i think im going to do it......

what are the pros and cons of buying a ready made kit (bolt on/weld on) or piecing a kit together from sources found on the internet/other peoples brains......

for the bolt on kit i was thinking of going teraflex anyother companyes to look at???

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I was just checking out Stu Olsons ZJ disc brake conversion. I think you told me that there's a company out there selling the kit for about $450 or so... Stu's tally on parts was $430.... find that kit again that you mentioned. and let's take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Currie Lists this under their D44 section:

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/ProductsRE.aspx?id=1920

Although it's description is Ford Exploder. I thought all those were 8.8's????

At any rate, it also doesn't mention the bearing retainer plate, or new axle bearings that you'll need after putting a bearing retainer on. Totally assuming you need that retainer only because Stu Olsons site mentioned needing.

Other than that, I'd say check with Ricky, I think he's got some good info on going to Disc Brakes.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
DC's kit is a damn good deal, but it doesn't mention XJ D44. Call him about it, he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
DC's kit is a damn good deal, but it doesn't mention XJ D44. Call him about it, he knows his stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

- XJs with Dana 44 & 35 non c-clip use part #DBK-JE (from the teraflex site)

but ill call DC later today and see if the backing plate that mounts to the axle shaft is includid

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ive been thinking

[/ QUOTE ]

There I was, working away, when it happened! Someone came in from lunch and said it smelled like smoke outside... and I *KNEW* it had to be you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Save the $400, adjust your rear brakes out a notch, and wheel more than twice a year to keep them from getting all crusted with pixie dust at the mall! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

G

·
TSM makes a kit for a xj dana 44 279.00 includes hardware and rotors. You have to supply calipers (cadilac w/ park brake or early monte carlo no brake) flex hoses in s.s. from them are 50.00. You can get the caddy calipers from them for 300.00 or find them on ebay for 160.00. I've been researching this as I have a d44 xj on the shop floor. It is either going into my xj (nice bolt in) or into my 88 yj project

I've also been looking into doing the conversion with zj parts. Used backing plates are scarce as once they come off the rear end the rear is junk. Rotors and calipers are pretty expensive for them.

Just my $.02
Hope this helps
K

·
Registered
991 Posts
Go with the kit. I did the ZJ disc conversion a year ago and finding the parts was tough. Everybody wanted to sell me the whole axle. Wabash Jeep in Wabash, Indiana finally cut me a deal on just the parts I needed, but I still had $400 in the swap. Get a kit and everything is new and clean and pretty.

·
Registered
630 Posts
he bought alot of stuff from the dealer ship where you could get it cheaper at junkyards or reg parts stores

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Man, I wish I knew how to save this thead so I could come back to it...

I'm getting ready to do the 4-wheel disc thing on a '73 CJ...
I've been looking at '94 to '98 Cad rear calipers and rotors.
They use a stright mounting bracket, that means no PITA bends in the thick bracket material.
They use a rear cable for parking brake.
They are supposed to be the same bolt pattern, but we'll see...

I've looked at kits for the rear, and here is what I've narrowed it down to so far, http://www.tsmmfg.com/jeep.htm
Or http://www.tsmmfg.com/2570.htm
For under $300. this may be worth looking into...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts