Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the rear axle in a 71 commando would be and what it would take to put it in an 85 cj I want to say I read somewhere it was a dana 44 and would drop right in but that would be to easy right

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dana44 info

Pay attention to centre section offset, spring perch location, brakes and track widths etc.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It's a one piece flanged Dana 44, 30 spline. Tread width is 50.0". Your '85 CJ's tread width is 55.1".

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Mine has the stock 3.73 gears as well.

'71 Commando SC-1
225 V-6/TH400/D20/D44/pickup and full tops

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim thanks for, info one more question though when I measure backing plate to backing plate on my cj its 49.5 inches not 55.1 does this mean that I have narrow track not wide track axles? Also what about spring perch locations I thought that I read it was a direct swap? Thanks

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
if you have an 85 then it should be wide track.. havent heard of many people swapping narrow for wide.. but you never know.. i dont have the measurements here on me.. so i cant tell you for sure. my little green book is somewhere's but here. but i do believe that the cammando is narrower.. (is that a word)..but dont quote me..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
573 Posts
I helped my brother put the axle from a '71 Commando (yes, it's a Dana 44)into his '78 CJ7. The spring perch location was exact, and it was one of the easiest axle conversions I have done. Measure the spring perches on your '85 and compare. It does seem like yours is a narrow track based on the brake backing plate measurements, though. If I remember right the '71 has smaller brakes, also. May or may not be an issue for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.