Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience or opinions (yes I know there like a**holes) on re-arching stock springs. I'm looking to get 2 inches of lift. Can someone tell me how this would work, would I have too much arc? Does it weaken the springs? Any ideas of the cost? Compared to getting lifted springs? Anything else I may not be considering.

Kevin Low
84 CJ7
SE Michigan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes you can rearch them but only a bit about 1.5 inchs ( due to spring length)It will weeken the old springs a bit . you would be better off to drop $300.00 for a set of geuine(pro comp) springs I have these 2.5 on my jeep now and like them ! .. it would cost about the same to rearch ..call and ask these cats at custom springs in memphis tn 1-888-219-7569.. they just helped me lift my sub 3.5 inches and may do a custom mono 6 incher for my Cj if I dont do a SOA. good luck and tell em Taco Ed sent you..

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
A friend had a few CJ's hanging around, so he re-arched his own in the press. He's a mechanic (one of the best I've seen) and knows what he's doing (He even built his OWN CJ-7 body from 14 Ga metal, looks factory). We were up on Pleasant Mountain (not so pleasant, let me tell you), when his springs started to pop. They popped and he kept going, being in a bad spot. Well, he got to the other side and had the main leaves let go, so the jeep was sitting on the axle, springs sheared off clean right behind the axle. With a little ingenuity we were able to get him out of the woods (took 4 hours and of course it was at night). He didn't mind too much, so he re-arched a second set, which are still going strong. The first set didn't go right away, he had some miles on them, but I wouldn't try it, I'd just buy new springs. Just MHO.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.