Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE 2\", Trailmaster 2\" or Teraflex 2\"?

Ok, this is it -- the end of the lift search. I have a few questions about these three lifts because there is such a huge price gap between them. The most economical on the list is the RE 2" at $199. I was looking through the Quadratrac catalog and I saw the Trailmaster 2" lift for $250; it looks like it comes with the same components. Then there's the Teraflex 2" which doesn't come with shocks and costs a whopping $480! How much better could it be if all it is is different springs and the spacers? I really don't want to spend 500 bucks on this lift especially if I am going to buy tires, but what is the difference there? Is it worth the extra $$? If so I will force myself to save and wait for a few months. I want to fit 32x11.5" BFG A/Ts on my stock "Canyon" 15x7 rims. I have a Sahara with 6 cyl, 5 spd. I saw a picture of the Teraflex system and it looks fabulous -- will the other kits LOOK different? What is the performance difference on and off-road? Thanks a lot!

Aaron

I have attached a picture of my jeep, it's mostly stock but comments are still welcome /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Re: RE 2\", Trailmaster 2\" or Teraflex 2\"?

I can only tell you my experience. I decided to get the cheapest lift I could find for my '85 CJ7 and I ended up with Pro-Comp(Crap) from 4 Wheel Parts. I have regretted it from the day I installed it. I recommend that you try to ride in a vehicle similar to yours with one of the kits you are interested in installed on it. If you can't do that then at least talk to many people about the type of wheelin' you do and what kits would work best for you. The best advice I have is don't rush into buying your kit, you will regret it.

TOM85CJ7

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak On-Board Air

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I cant give you an exact answer, but I do know that the teraflex kits are top notch and the parts are excellent quality. Check the list of parts carefully because some kits dont offer upper and lower control arms and some do. This is one area to check, but really go down the list and make sure that there really are no differences in the parts offered in the kits. You can also call the guys at Mepco Jeep, they are owned by the same people that own teraflex so they can answer all your questions. They dont only sell Teraflex, so they can actually be open to all lift companies. Their number is 801-561-3299. Good luck with your decision.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Just a thought, if you don't like the kit you buy, then you're going to be miserable driving.... for as long as you own the jeep....

Do it right the first time! What's $100.00 over 5 years? Even 3? Not very much... just save for another month or 2....

I assume you are installing this yourself?

Jon-YJ94
I6, 3.5" Black Diamond, MORE, & more
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I would guess that the RE and Trailmaster kits consists of spacers, not new springs, while the Tera kit has new springs. I don't know for sure, but I'd say it's a good bet. Teras are a bit more expensive than the rest, but they are worth it, from everything I've heard. The Trailmaster kit can be had for less, I'm sure. If I remember correctly, Quadratech does not have especially good prices.

If you want more info about the different kits, go to http://www.rubiconexpress.com and http://www.teraflx.com. You'll have to look around for Trailmaster info, or call them direct at 517/278-4011.

I say do it right the first time.

Marc
http://Contagious Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have the Teraflex 2T lift on my 99TJ (4.0, 5sp, Dana 44) and actually got almost 3 " with the new springs. I also got the Teraflex quick disconnects and Edelbrock shocks, and went ahead and dropped the transfer case because I had heard of too many folks with vibrations with my set up. It wasn't the cheapest way to go, but I think it was the best way to get 2 " of lift, because I have an excellent ride, lots of articulation, and quality springs and shocks rather than just spacers. I will add some new lower control arms in the spring. For now I run 32" BFG's on my stock 15x8 rims with a little rub on turning. If I decide to go taller later on, I can simply change to the Teraflex 3" springs (and they will cut me a deal if I trade in the 2" springs) and everything else will still work. If you go with a spacer lift like the RE, you'll have to toss everything in the dumpster to start over. If you want about 2", I'd say save your money for a bit and get either the Teraflex 2T or OME lifts. Saving $300 now just isn't worth it when you're talking about changing basic components of a $20K new vehicle that you'll hopefully be enjoying for a long time. If you want more info, email me direct.

E. Adams
99 TJ 4.0 with stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.