Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say I love my father dearly and appreciate his help more than I can say.

HOWEVER, I've found a few things out over the last year or so we've been working on my jeep together:

1. If your father is a mechanic that has owned several jeeps over his lifetime (none in the last 20 years though) there are a couple of things to watch out for:
a. Him trying to make the jeep "just like the one I had back in 1960".
b. Him insisting on using the same kind of parts he used back in the 1960s--even if there are better alternatives nowdays. ("NO! I'm not using Military Bar Tread Tires--I like my 33's!)
c. Stories that take longer to listen to than it takes to change out the engine.
2. If your garage is too small or too cluttered (mines a wood shop), RESIST the urge to use your father's much larger shop--it avoids the stuff in point #1.
3. If you do use your father's much larger shop, DON'T let the Jeep become undriveable for more than a day or two...that results in the following:
a. Complaints about taking up space in his garage/
b. Him working on it when you are not there--that's how I ended up with a new front bumper with a tow bar--my other truck is a 4x4 Ford Ranger with a 4cyl! No WAY am I towing to my wheelin' spots!
c. Him charging large amounts of money to your account at the local parts store....last month was over $300, and I never went into the part shop! I usually pay cash, not use the account!
4. If your father agrees to help you, be VERY specific. I needed help with welding a few metal patches onto a few rusted out spots.....I've gotten the next best thing to a complete body job.......the bloody thing is going to be too PRETTY to wheel!

Okay, I'm not upset at my father, but sometimes he and I have different priorities. I am using his shop because mine is full....he takes this as a license to work on the jeep when I'm not there....that would be fine if he worked on the stuff that needs done...not on a bumper that didn't need replacing in the first place! I love him dearly, and sometimes I just gotta grin and shake my head!

G

·
HAHAHAHA! That is hilarious! I think you should just let him fix it all up, then make him buy it from you! hahahaha! At least he is all about helping you mang!
)

Marcus

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've offered it to him already (I really wanted a CJ7 since there is a little more room for my 2 year old daughter, but the price was right...) but all I keep hearing is:

"Naw, I want a FLAT FENDER!"

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I got you beat by a long run!!! You should have a dad that is a machinest. Try building a bumper with him. When we were building the front bumper for the CJ and he got the calipers out i knew right then and there I was in for it. Then when the bumper ended up in the milling machine and the holes were drilled to a thousand of an inch tolerance i really new i was in for it. Well it took twice as long to build but when it finally got bolted together it kinda fell on. He did goof up on one measurement though. So i had him there. When i replaced the floor boards, and he wanted to help, i made him put the calipers in the tool box. HEHEHE. I was waiting for him to want to make a mold of the floor first so he could press the new floor into shape.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I understand your feelings and I know they are all tongue in cheek but be GREATFUL your Dad even shares the Jeep enthusiasm with you . Lots of Dads are to busy or dont give a rats bum
. If there were more Dads like yours there would be less punks stealing our Stereos and such .

Jeff

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
..lucky you.
My dad is a frieghtliner(semi-truck) mechanic.
He never wants to help me on it, and complains when he has to..i mean complains a lot.
He always says "if you get a semi, then I will help you, i'm not a car mechanic."
I should ask him if he wants to help me swap a diesel engine in my jeep :p
He does a lot of programming or something on the trucks computers nowadays

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If my dad was a tech he wouldnt help me either. But when he gets to play with his machines without having some highrent job to do, he has fun again. So that is how i get him out of his house.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
My Dad was a good man and a great father. He wasn't mechanically inclined. I wish I had some memories of us working on cars together. Because of this, I have made a point for my kids, sons and daugher, to help me work on the Cherokee. I wish for you those good memories!

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
On the opposite end of the spectrum, my dad spent 35 years patching lawnmowers back together. Consequently, everything is painted with the closest available spray can ("Aw, that chartreuse Poulan paint will look great on your hood!"), wires MUST be connected with wirenuts ("Would the electrician use them in the house, if they weren't OK for cars too?"), and steel oxy-acetylene welded with coathangers & borax ("I ain't gonna pay for filler rod when the closet's full of these"). I must admit that it's still a joy to have him stop by and lend a hand! The last visit he "helped" with the winch plate, disc conversion and grill painting. Seen here reading the TSC catalog

G

·
First, your pops is trying to help. Second, be glad your pops is not from the good ole days of flathead four bangers. You'll never hear the end of it. If thought that jeeps were bad, just try talking duece roadsters with an oldster.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My old man hated my Jeep for about 5 years-"you don't need a four wheel drive"-drive my 2wd F-150 with a 360 that got stuck on spit!! After a while he took a liking to it and that was worse. He truly was amazing at how he could cobble something up to fix things, but pretty it was not. My dad is going blind now and can't help on cars much. Try to enjoy as much as you can, look at most young kids today-can only figure out where the gas goes. At least dad made you a mechanic and mine did too. Keep passing it on like you are.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It's funny how things change. Love and respect my Pop to death, and he is a great guy, but he has ignored his mechanical side for decades. He used to build racers from the ground-up, and now doesn't even change the oil, or has in the last 30yrs.
Even before auto shop, I tinkered with my car, not knowing anything except how it came off
. After auto shop and living @ home, my dad would always say "I hope that thing starts, I am not going to lend you my car" and "don't work on the brakes, I will give you $$ to get them done" etc. Well, 9 yrs ago I bought my CJ becouse I wanted to get back into tinkering, and the 300zx was not something to tinker with.During my ownership Dad would complain about "you are always working on that thing" and "you could buy 5 jeeps for the $$ you dumped in that heap" After 9yrs my dad rode in the Jeep for the first time, and said "where did you get this done, and where can you have that put in" I said "you know the shop, very well in fact"
I have a sneeking suspicion, he will want to go camping this year

G

·
That's a great pic, Caver Dave--looks too similar to my dad's place when I'm there working on the jeep! Besides being very mechanically capable, my dad has been an electrical engineer/tech since joining the navy back in the 60s and god forbid I do something electrically on my jeep with his help! I guarantee you I have the THE MOST professionally done Nutter bypass and wiring harness modifications you've ever seen! You'd think NASA was preparing to take this thing to the moon!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I know the feeling exactly. I still live at home and use the shop frequently. For the past 4 months the Cj has been completely apart, doing a frame off. Ever since then my dad has asked at least once a week when i'm gonna pick up my mess. We tend to get in at least one arguement when he's helpin me cause he wants to do it his way and I wanna do it my way. If it weren't for my old man I wouldn't know how to do anything at all to my Jeep. My mom told me about a year ago that she never expected me to even change my own oil, and look at me now, I'm building an entire vehicle. Man I love my dad.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If your father is still alive and wants to help let him help. Atleast one day you will be able to look back and enjoy the memories. Some of are not that fortunate.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I know what you all mean. I'm damn glad to have my Dad and his garage to use along with MIG welder, oxy acetylene torch, band saw, drill press, lathe, etc... My commando waits for me there and I finally had to ask him to leave it alone cause in one week he painted the front end with a Wagner spray painter and bolted in my CJ roll bar in a way that defies description; angle iron welded on going to the side of the body??? What I really want is for him to help with the 360 rebuild he's great on motors but wont touch this one now. Even still I have built over 10 cars, racers and jeeps with him and wouldn't give up a second of it. He taught me so much and is always there to lend a hand.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
The funny part is I asked for "a large ballpeen"! Of course, dad shows up with the maul. I'm beginning to figure it out, so next time I'll ask for the maul, but he'd come with an 8oz. tack hammer!

Actually thought I was gonna have to remove the spindles and heard it can be a bitch. As it turned out, the 6 bolt brakets bolt to the OUTSIDE of the spindles (DOH!).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
While my dad is mechanical in nature, it's all electrical though. He'll come wire your house, and I got scads of flourescents in the garage, but I wouldn't let him under the hood of my beast if you PAID me!

I would NEVER DREAM of working in his "shop". Picture this: garage with high-gloss khaki painted floor, WHITE cabinets, WHITE microwave, 32" TV, swamp cooler (it's Vegas), and the piece de resistance exactly 2 tire tracks in/out. I'm talking those tire tracks look like they were snapped on a set of chalk lines. He crawls mom's a$$ when she misses too. The white stuff is cleaner than the stuff in my kitchen. Shoes are taken off before entering the house (white carpet).

I love my dad, but I could just see him going all Fred Sanford on me as the first 2 quarts of oil hit the floor, don't forget, my Jeep prolly has a different tread width than their Crown-Vic (old-people's cop-car
).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.