Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an 89 YJ, 4.2L. The problem is that randomly on the highway the engine will just quit, and wont start for about 20 minutes. Its not the Ignition Module, we just replaced it last month, its carbeurated, so there is no Crankshaft Position Sensor. I cant figure out what it could be, after it stalled i took the aircleaner cover off, and looked in the carb and hit the gas, lots came through, so its not starving for gas or air (I tried starting it with the cover off), I pulled the main wire to the distrubutor, it jumped a spark to the block, so its getting spark. I dont think the timing is off at all, Im stumped!! Please help!

MattYJ
89YJ 4.2 5"lft 33"Firehawk ATX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
are u 100% sure its not the ignition module, on my 88 wrangler with the same set up , my ignition module and ingnition coil both went bad, and it would let we drive until the engine got to normal operating temperature then it would seem to stall out, then if i waited about a half hour it would run until it got warmed up then die, well just my info, u might have a differnt problem!
(\/)ikey

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it could be either your ignition module or coil...but check your main ignition lead wire from the key to the module, under the dash. There is a small black connector that may come loose and short out the entire system. Mine was loose and the jeep would die on the highway sporadically...i used electrical tape to hold the connector tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.