Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1983 jeep does not hold out the rain like it did many years ago. the rain get's in and runs down the floor to my feet. i have a hard to and hard doors and i do not know where it is comming form. i know someone has had this probelm and fixed it because alot of jeeps have that same problem. any help would be great!

TYLER
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a VERY common problem on CJs and older Wranglers. It is most likely the gasket/seal between the windhsield and cowl. Mine has leaked for years, but only on the passenger side, so I haven't worried about it. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine used to dump buckets of water on my feet, lol... it sucked, as I would pull out of my driveway, a hill upwards, all this water would pour out onto my feet, lol... It was also the gasket in mine...

Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
When I bought mine used it had RTV silicone sealer beteween the winshield seal and the tub. If you
don't put the winshield down, that's not a bad fix. A new gasket is about $40, I bought one and still have
a small leak. Two other places to check are around the cowl vent and the vent box drain, but usually it's
the windshield to tub seal.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I got a new cowl to windshield seal from JC Witney,it was cheaper than 4 wheel drive.anyhow when I installed it it was kinda loose so I sealed it to the windshield with silicone sealer,Then laid down some self stick weather stripping and sealed around that with silicone sealer ....But before setting the windshield up I put down a sheet of waxed paper to keep it from adhering but to form a good gasket.you could probably use exterior calking as well /smooth out bead with soapy water and paper towels.
I do the samething with my valve cover gasket ,put silicone sealet on the valve cover apply the cork gasket and line up the holes ,put it on a sheet of wax paper, weight it down a bit and let it cure for a while.when ready to install on engine apply sealer to bottom side of gasket and bolt down.I do this because I have a steel valve cover and while tightening the bolts the gasket would squeez out.
Unfortunatley because of a blow-by problem I am blowing oil out of everywhere else.....but....not my valve cover.....LOL
Lots of luck

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.