Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the easiest way to change out the radius arm bushings?

1. Grind/chisel off the rivets and replace with grade 8 bolts
2. Come along attached to the bumper and pull the axle forward.

Looks to me like #1 would be easier.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Not that I need to do mine now, but I'd like to see pros and cons to each idea as well.
When I did replace them, I pulled the axle housings with the rad arms attached and also did those bushings at the same time.
That is a whole lot more disassembly, but the bushings were sure easy to swap then.

I don't neccessarily like the idea of cranking on the front end to pull em forward.
I can't help but think something's going to bend or loosen up.
However, I think that's how the shops do it.

Now, grinding off the rivets and replacing with bolts I think has several advantages.
#1-Being, if you ever had the need for drop brackets, you'd be ready to go.
#2-Being, if you swapped to extended arms, same thing as the drop brackets. Ready to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the grinder and an air chisel and I think I'll go that way. Should be pretty painless. (Famous last words).

There has been a little play in the front end since I got the truck. Nothing real bad but kinda annoying. I replaced the drag link, both outer tie rods and the left inner and it didn't help at all. I found a little play in the left lower ball joint so I replaced those. No change. Yesterday I was coming home from work on the interstate and the truck started going back and forth almost out of control. I pulled over and found the left radius arm bushing split almost in half.

I bought the Dana - Perfect circle #FA1364 poly bushings. Looks like a pretty good set.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Now, grinding off the rivets and replacing with bolts I think has several advantages.
#1-Being, if you ever had the need for drop brackets, you'd be ready to go.
#2-Being, if you swapped to extended arms, same thing as the drop brackets. Ready to go."

What he said. Converted, ya know the red bushings add 5hp!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Style" points never hurt

Actually I'll just be happy if I can keep it in the same lane going down the highway

·
Registered
723 Posts
you might want to get a drill and a 7/16th bit i found it helps some but the grinder with a cut off wheel is the fastest just make sure ya wear goggles cuz chit flys everwhere and watch out for the gas and electrical on the inside

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
just use the torch, in 30 seconds they will all be off.

·
Registered
723 Posts
yeah torch would be a heck of alot better one day i will break down and buy one myself
Hmmmmmmm the trouble i could get into with one of those

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
i agree, grinding rivets takes forever! i would grind the dome off the rivet so that you can get a good bite with a bit, then drill a small hole through there, then a bigger one, etc til you can take a sledge and punch the head off. i should've done this for the shackle flip but i didnt think about it til after all the hairs on my arms were cinged together.

btw, where did you get that set, they look sweet... and how much? i'm starting to wear out all my rubbers, so i probably ought to get some new ones

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yep. The way Muddy says to do it is the way to pound them out. Give 'em a couple slams with the punch and hammer first though. A few will surprise you and come out. I still have to take off the radius arm bracket on the driver side and both rear hangers so I can do the rear shackle flip with the F250 hangers. Then the Rancho 4" will be done with no problems. (hopes to God)
NORM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the TRW HB1495KHD from Advance Auto Parts. Cost was $10.99 per side. Looks to be the same bushing kit as the Dana.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the kit from Pep Boys, $15.95, included both sides.

I'll be doing it tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. That air chisel I've got will probably be the way to go. I used it alot stripping down a monte carlo that I got to put on a local dirt track. That chisel should knock the heads off those rivets in short order. Then I can put on the punch bit and run them right through the frame.

I was wondering what size bolts to get. Is it 7/16"?

·
Registered
723 Posts
7/16th is what came with my lift i tried using the air chisel with the punch on but some didnt want to punch thru had to pry the air off the cut/grind the rest of it off to make it flush

1 - 18 of 18 Posts