Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just developed a leak in my radiator, I'm just looking for opinions on using barks (sp) stop leak. What are the issues with using this, will it gum up the block too. Should I just go ahead and pull it and have it fixed. It appears to just be a pin hole leak, but it is spraying coolant everywhere.

Kevin Low
84 CJ7, TFI, 33 MT, Rancho 9000
SE Michigan

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
There are lots of fixes here, so I asked a mechanic friend when mine developed a leak similar to yours. He said the best course is obviously to have it repaired by a shop, but the next best thing is to use a powdered additive. He said to use one of the ones that contains the aluminum or metal type powder, but only add 1/2 the can at a time, not to add the whole thing unless needed. I added 1/2 a can of Solder Seal and it did the trick. No overheating, no gumming, and no leaks now for over 2 years. If it developed more leaks I'd look into a new one, but it's worked fine for me. Just FYI, black pepper will also seal leaks in the radiator, but who knows what it'll do to the engine.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.