Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, don't laugh, I though I would NEVER ask these questions. I have stumbled across a CJ7 DANA 44 with 4.10 R&P that I just can't pass. What would be a reasonable $$ and simple locker for a CJ Model 30 axle and what is a fair price for good used 4.10 R&P? Will the carrier for the existing Model 30 2.73 R&P work with an upgraded 4.10 R&P? Thanks for not flaming.

·
Registered
294 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, don't laugh, I though I would NEVER ask these questions. I have stumbled across a CJ7 DANA 44 with 4.10 R&P that I just can't pass. What would be a reasonable $$ and simple locker for a CJ Model 30 axle and what is a fair price for good used 4.10 R&P? Will the carrier for the existing Model 30 2.73 R&P work with an upgraded 4.10 R&P? Thanks for not flaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, by the numbers:

1. Get a LockRight.

2. Buy new. A new set of 4.10's for a Dana 30 are about $140, and spend the cash and get the Master Install Kit, too.

3. The 2.73 carrier will not work for the 4.10's. You need to buy a new carrier. About $50 on ebay.

And you didn't ask, but I'll say anyway. If you don't know how to do gears already, then get someone to do it for you. A shop will charge anywhere from $200 to $500 to do it. If you know someone who does it, the cost can range anywhere from a 12-pack to around $200 if you bring all your own parts.

G

·
Ditto with Pete....
I've done gears twice....the second time I got it right....hence, the money i wasted on the first set of gears would have paid for the labor....and that is assuming you already have the right tools.....

Ever hear the phrase "We learn by our mistakes".....why do you think we are so bloody smart when it comes to jeeps....

As for the price for the D44...if you can get it for $500 or less you would be doing well.....remember...cash talks and walks....

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Re: R&P and Locker

You didn't ask, but I'll answer anyway; I wouldn't spend the money for a locker for a D30. It isn't difficult or expensive to put a D44 in front, even if you have to narrow it. I bought two, combined them into one and narrowed it for about $350, including new brakes and seals.

A D30 will take a fair amount of abuse if you're lucky, but if you're not, it can also break without being significantly abused. I shucked a handfull of teeth off the ring gear trying to back uphill out of a muddy ditch. And that was without a locker increasing the stress on the ring and pinion.

Also, if it's driven much on the street you should strongly consider a selectable locker for the front - ARB, Eaton E-locker, Detroit Electrac or Ox, if the Ox is even being made any more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. Is the LockRight and Ox considered a "lunch box" locker. If the hubs are unlocked and I am street driven, will I even notice a lunch box locker is installed? I don't run very big or tall tires and don't climb rocks. Thanks for your time.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
The lockright is a "lunch box" locker. The Ox is a full case locker.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys,
Is there any other lunch box locker I should consider other than LockRight?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Re: R&P and Locker

Lockright and Aussie Locker are to common Lunch box lockers. Last I heard Aussie was behind in production something like 3 months for a dana 44, but it would be worth checking on.

You will need a new carrier, going to 4.10's so a Detroit, OX, T-Locker, E-Locker, or ARB are all worth reseaching. These are full case lockers, and with the exeption of the Detroit are selectable. There is no subsitute for doing your own reseach on this. Remember anything anyone tells you here is free advise and should be confirmed before you lay down $$$$$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.