Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R 1990\'s interchangeable w/ 1987\'s

I have a 87 zuk in good shape and also a 90 that needs a little attention. I am not sure which to build and which is for parts.
What are the differneces between the two other than the fuel injection? Is one drive train better or are they interchangeable. does it make a difference to mate the larger 87 engine to the FI? Either way I go I will have to swap almost equal number of parts from one to the other. Does one stand out or is it 6 of one and half a dozen of another?
Your information and advice will be greatly appreciated as I need to commit to one or the other.

Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: R 1990\'s interchangeable w/ 1987\'s

Just go with the 90 since you will not have off camber problems of sputtering with a carb. Probably has less rot too. If its half way there as much as the older one, why not newer and fuel injected? Same drive train except flanges on the drive shafts. Same transfer case, and transmission is geared better imho.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: R 1990\'s interchangeable w/ 1987\'s

90 Leaf springs have some minor differences, as well as the front diff carrier, is aluminum, so you cant take it apart like the other ones. The rear diff uses 1 brake line instead of 2.
The engine is 1298cc whhile the 87 is 1342 or somthing..
The dashes and interior are obvousley different..
The 90 has a different grill and metal flares as well as bigger driveshaft flanges, supposto be the same size as toyota. i think thats about it..

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares

1 - 3 of 3 Posts