Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 XJ that I use as my daily driver. It still has the stock Goodyear tires on it after 25K miles. They are awful. Any water on the ground and I lose all traction. Anyway, I have a set of Michelin LTX tires in the garage that I took off my YJ when I put the BFG ATKo's on. I'm thinking of swapping them with the Goodyear's. Anyone have any experience with the Michelin LTX tires? I figure it has to be better then what I have now. The funny thing is that I still have a bunch of tread left on the Goodyears but they never really stuck to the ground. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have a set of LTX - AT's on my CJ. I put @ 40,000 miles on them, and probably will get another 40,000 out of them. It took 30,000 to wear the little 'nubs' off. Check the suggested air pressure on them, it is high. run them at lower, standard air pressures and they will wear on the shoulders. They have been great on road, but I would not recommend them as an off road tire.

·
Registered
785 Posts
i had some ona 1985 xj and really liked them. did well on road, rain, snow, everything...i never used them off-road. my first choice for a on-road xj would be BFG AT's, second would be the Michelin LTX. matt

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have what I think is an LTX a/t on my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, keep that in mind as you read my criticisizm as it aint a jeep... Anyhow, I was planning on buying BFG A/T's to drive on a vacation, I even called the tire place in advance to makes sure they had them, they say yeah, we've got tons of em... I get there and they have Goodyear Trail T/A, wimpy looking and Michelin LTX A/T's... so I take the Michelins, a little more expensive than the Hercules I had previously(more on those in a minute). Well after over 20k miles on a 6500 lb truck(I rotate, and check pressures regularly), they are not quite half worn, I expect another 30k miles or more. They ride pretty even, aren't noisy at all, but they handle like crap. I guess they could be worse, but they dont compare to the cheap tires I had before. Also, as I get stuck in wet grass sometimes anyway, the street type tires dont help any. These are not off-road or even all-terrain tires by any means. Unless you already have them, dont buy them expecting good off-road performance. The Hercules(similar to the BFG A/T) seemed to get decent traction and handled well, and was about 20$ cheaper per tire if I remember right. I think I'll go with mud tires next time, or at least an aggressive all terrain, even if they only last 30k miles....

Good luck with the tire decision, but a hint for four wheeling in mud with the LTX's are to spin'em like crazy! If you live in dry dusty rocky country, they oughta grip fine, I made it up a steep hill during the drought last summer most people wouldnt try when wet(its steeeeep).

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

·
Registered
295 Posts
Donny;
I have LTX M&S on my daily driver which is an Explorer. I would not run anything else on the road. Rotate them every 5-8k miles and you will be proud. HOWEVER, for my CJ, I run Bridgestone's off-road tire, MT's.

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/4.0 standing by for transplant w/T176/Dana300 - Lookin for aluminum or chrome 15x8 spoke wheels to fit CJ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts