Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick......I need color (paint) idea\'s!!!!!!

Hey everyone. I just got the body for the pull truck from being sand blasted and I am putting on the primer today. And I am hopefully going to be putting on the top coat by Tuesday. My question is....I can't decide on a color. I was originally thinking of Met Black but black is very hard to paint. I am now starting to really think about Met Silver. The exact silver is the one that is on the new 2001-2002 Dodge pickups and mini-vans. I like that silver the best out of them all. The other colors I really like is a dark Met Indigo Blue and a very cool Jewl Green that I have seen on a few new 2002 Mustangs.

Anyone else have any color idea's? I am up for some funky color like yellow or orange too if it will look good.

One other question...if I go with the silver how will it go with the chrome on the truck. There is really only one piece of chrome and thats on the front GMC grill. I will also be going with black rims and tires and dark tinted window's which should also make the silver shine very nice.

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks...Ryan

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Re: Quick......I need color (paint) idea\'s!!!!!!

Why only one colour?? This is definitely an attractive colour scheme.

Honestly though, I like the indigo blue, but won't it be nearly as hard to spray as black?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

It's spelled "COLOR" you crazy canuck...
Say it with me now... C... O... L... O... R... Yep there's no place for "u" in color...

I don't know, I think black with some ghost flames would be great...

hahahaha of course just messin' around with the canuck stuff...

G

·

LOL KOC.....It took me about 2 years to quit spelling color 'colour' after moving here from England!!!

G

·

Just go with black, or dark blue, or dark green

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat. My intention is to paint mine black metallic but if I don't think my body work is up to par then I'll either paint it the blue it already is (was?) or charcoal gray.

I wish I could do some more primer today. But of course it is raining outside.

G

·

i like this one

EDIT: i did some modifications to it, thats why there are some funny looking spots on the hood and front of it

Attachments

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

That wouldn't be much fun at all to paint. Simple flames are easy to paint. That'd be a nightmare. I'm definitely not that good with my airbrush.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

I have always thought that eye catching designs would look good. Something that makes people go home and say "Hey remember that one with that funky design and cool colors - it did pretty good - I like it" (or whatever). The pictures in the attachment aren't exactly what I'd do, but it shows what I think is eyecatching, crowd exciting, and not too hard to do. While I think this looks good on a puller, monster truck, or some other application where the truck's identity matters, you wouldn't catch me doing it to a street truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,086 Posts

94, I've seen that before, if I recall the guy paid some outrageous sum like $80,000 to have that car painted like that.

Ryan, I heard a cool idea, not sure if it's your style though. Use all of the flat OD colors that they use for making camo, but instead of camo make a flame job with it. So like, OD green with brown or flat black flames. Like a military hot rod or something...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

for $80k i'd have to drive the car around backwards so i didn't get chips in the flames..

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

yeah, i agree. there's a guy with a fullsize blazer frame under his s-series blazer that did a teal paintjob five houses down. it used to be "rust white". it looks retarded. he spent all this money on this blazer (44" TSLs 350/th400/np205 dana60/14ff) and then did a ****ty color. and now he's selling it.

however, there's this guy that is friends with a guy down the street on the corner. it's the 88-98 generation shortbox standard cab. it's white that fades in to metallic red color (i'm not sure, partially colorblind, but i know it's red) and is very nice looking. not gaudy or anything. very clean looking.

i, myself, always liked paint that looked good but didn't attract attention to itself. there's no fun in having a toy if the cops can spot you from a mile away.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I really like the paint that changes colors when you look at it at different angles. I think its pretty expensive paint and probably pretty hard to apply but it would still look very cool

G

·

I have one word for the color......... ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a very bright standout orange would be awesome.. im gonna paint my next muddin truck orange

G

·

Well, I'm partial to Orange and black, and that's what I paint all my fabbed stuff. I say paint the whole damn thing a deep OSHA arange and then do a big black skull on the hood, then some angular spikey black [censored] down the sides to break it up a little.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for the help guys/girls. After doing much thinking today about the color (Tim I am Canadian too and I spell color COLOUR but!!! I spell it color just for all you south of the border people on the board here)

Anyway, colour
wise I think I am going to just go with the Metalic Silver. Reason being its easy to paint, looks really nice and doesn't show the dirt or dust (one main reason why I don't want black because all the pull trucks get covered with dust really fast.) And also I don't want a fancy paint job because its just going to get covered with the name of the truck and sponsor decals and all the other motor sports stickers.

Thanks for the help...Ryan

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

I know how you canadians spell things, I just had to give y'all a bit of grief over it...

Be sure and get us some more pictures of the buildup and final assembly process, and maybe some video captures of some runs down the pull course...

G

·

I still say u should go with orange......hehehehehe

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

With metallic silver you can always get real crazy and decide to paint candy apple over it or something. Not that I've ever done that or anything..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.