Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a junkyard about 30-35 miles out of town, and I found a Scout II with the front and rear axles still on it. Are these a good choice for a swap? What is the drawbacks of using these? The front axle is missing the tie rods - how much of a problem will these be to replace? What is a good price for these axles?

TIA for the info.

When you come to the end of your road, get out and lock the hubs in . . .

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought they had the D30 too, but this one had D44's F&R - or at least D44 Diff's! It's a Scout II, so I think that would be very late 70's or early 80's. I didn't think to crawl underneath and check the gear ratio. I was kind of in a hurry - but when you see one of these, you just got to stop and check for that "gold plated" D300 - know what I mean? Why is the Chevy axle preferred over this one for SOA? Please expound on this a little more if you would. If I swap the axles out, it will definately be SOA.

I know I can come in under $500. Shoot - I have a D44 off the front of a late 70's Waggie on standby for $150. I am eyeing a 8.8 or a 9 to go with it, but neither are on the crush pile yet - so the prices are still higher than I am willing to pay. I was just thinking that these were a matched set, and may be cheaper to use in the long run - but I definately want to do it right the first time.

When you come to the end of your road, get out and lock the hubs in . . .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.