Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a junkyard about 30-35 miles out of town, and I found a Scout II with the front and rear axles still on it. Are these a good choice for a swap? What is the drawbacks of using these? The front axle is missing the tie rods - how much of a problem will these be to replace? What is a good price for these axles?

TIA for the info.

When you come to the end of your road, get out and lock the hubs in . . .

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
jay, not all the scouts had d-44's front and rear.. some have a d-30 up front.. what you want is a late 70's scout for the axles... but if you are thinking of going SOA, a chevy d-44 is a much better starting point. scout axles usua;lly go for about $500 for the pair with crappy gears around here...a buddy has a set that i did a SOA to here he would sell for about $400 with 3.73 gears

~~Elusive~~http://www.jeepgod.net
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1553931

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought they had the D30 too, but this one had D44's F&R - or at least D44 Diff's! It's a Scout II, so I think that would be very late 70's or early 80's. I didn't think to crawl underneath and check the gear ratio. I was kind of in a hurry - but when you see one of these, you just got to stop and check for that "gold plated" D300 - know what I mean? Why is the Chevy axle preferred over this one for SOA? Please expound on this a little more if you would. If I swap the axles out, it will definately be SOA.

I know I can come in under $500. Shoot - I have a D44 off the front of a late 70's Waggie on standby for $150. I am eyeing a 8.8 or a 9 to go with it, but neither are on the crush pile yet - so the prices are still higher than I am willing to pay. I was just thinking that these were a matched set, and may be cheaper to use in the long run - but I definately want to do it right the first time.

When you come to the end of your road, get out and lock the hubs in . . .

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i have looked at scouts and waggy rears and was undecied until today. I didnt want to be as wide as a waggy so i looked at the scout. Then when i relized that both knuckles on the scout would have to be cut off and turned to get some caster in it, i went back to the waggy. What i am doing it cutting just the long side off of the waggy and shorting it. It will be just about as wide as a wide track cj. The rear rear will be a ford 9 in with disk brakes.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
The chevy axle is aready set up for SOA. The don't have the caster problem like the scouts. The scout axle has no caster built in. Even though the Chevy axle should have the left side cut down. That won't be much more than rotating the knuckles. Last time I checked Moser wanted $275 to shorten the housing and respline one axle and a new one.

Tony
http://www.wilhelm-tech.com/jeep

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
OK - I have been doing some research into this, and I have a Chevy D44, a Waggy D44 and a wide track D30 in my garage. I couldn't figure out how you would be able to get away with just cutting down one side of the Chevy, and still have a decently straight shot back into the transfer case (on a CJ). I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm fishing for what people did, how much they cut, etc.
I have my measurements at home, one day I'm gonna post them on my website, I had even made little "to scale" drawings of things so I could compare.

BTW - local shops around here want $150 to cut the tubes down & reweld.

Oh, and what I decided on was to go with the full-width waggy - mainly cause it was the widest I could go for stability with the SOA with getting extended flares, that will still cover the tires for on the street. It is currently at the machinist getting the passenger side mount machined flat on the top.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.