Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
6,784 Posts
I first stumbled on to pit pins in the military.
The Army uses them to hold everything together. At first, I thought that pit pins were just used to hold desk drawers shut when they moved the field command trailers, and to post signs and stuff, but when I was assigned to an armor outfit for a while, I found out they are used to hold those 300 lb tank hatches open, and hold the heavy equipment those tankers take everywhere.
I have seen them 1/8" in diameter to 3" in diameter, from 1/2" to 4 feet long. They come in blunt and pointed entry ends, and 'L', 'T' handles, 'Button Heads' and 'Mushroom Heads', and round ring ends.
Just push the button in on the head, and pull them out. The button pushes a spring loaded rod in the shaft, and releases a ball or balls in the shaft.
(Works like a Craftsman ratchet socket lock)
I have seen the balls located all up and down the shafts.
I have seen them made out of everything from aluminum and stainless steel to titanium.
Normally I get them from an army surplus store, but I saw one of the racing catalogs had some keeping a shifter housing together the other day.

I first started using them while still in the military. I was drag racing a Harley then, and I got sick of putting the wheelie bars on and taking them back off to load the bike in a pickup, so we used pit pins. Before it was over, we had almost everything on pit pins.

Never under estimate the military surplus stuff. It's all the very best money can buy, and you can get it dirt cheap. Every nut, bolt, screw, washer, and wire tie you find will have a military spec. number, and will be of very best quality. You can also find the trickiest little fasteners, latches, hinges, handles, and such for cheap.

To answer your question, YES. You can certainly use pit pins to hold your winch on.
Make a bracket that has at least two attachment points ( I recommend 4 attachment points), and use a tongue and groove design. drill two holes straight down through all three layers of mounting material, and drop two 1/2" pit pins in it. With a similar set of mounting tabs on the rear, you just pull the winch & mounting plate and move it around back.
SEE: Attachment.

That is exactly what we have planned here. Hell, the whole Jeep is put together with pit pins. Anything gets damaged, we yank it off and throw it in the back.
If you are worried about thieft when you are gone, just snap a padlock through one of the holes.

Be sure to use heavy (around 6 or 4 Ga.) FINE STRAND wire to the rear for your winch hook up.(the more fine the strands, the more amperage it will deliver)
If you can't find the wire in the 'normal' world, go to a welding shop, and they will have it.

CJ Dave has a really snappy design for a two battery rig to power that winch, and I'm sure he'll publish it again if you ask..

Hope this is what you were looking for, If it's not, just e-mail me and I'll give you everything I have on the subject.
Good Luck, Aaron.

So many cats.... So few recipes...

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.