Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that CJ Dave might be able to tell me if I can put a NP242 T-case in my GC in place of the stock NP249 that is in it (and shot). I put a posting on the cherokee BBS site and someone told me to check here as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif It'll bolt up, but there may be a teensy bit of difference in the length of the rear driveline. I just don't have any way of confirming that....it will be close...if not REAL close. You will LIKE the 242, and it will most likely give you a little more freedom and pump up the MPG a little. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Danno, are you sure that you have a 249? They weren't used till 1996 in the GC Jeeps./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife and I both have 249s in our '93 and '94 Grand Cherokees. I had a 242 in my 89 cherokee and I liked it must better. I actually get really good mileage with my '93. Better than my wife gets and better than my '89 got as well. I think last time I checked I was getting around 18-19 MPG with a combination of city/ highway driving.

Thanks for your help. I think I may start making plans to make the swap.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Don't forget about driveshaft length too... Let us know how the swap goes. I was thinking about doing the same thing once the viscous coupling goes in my '95. At 110,000 miles I'm not holding my breath...

Heres a link to a guys page who swapped a NP231 in...Not the same, but may have some good tips. Go to the drivetrain section.
http://jeepzj.simplenet.com/

'79 CJ-7

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.