Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 Tahoe with the AutoTrac tranfer case (NV246). My question is, if I change the gear ratio in the rear, and wait another 6 months or so to change the front diff gears to match the rear, will my T-case be okay if I promise to leave the truck in 2x4 and not use 4x4?

The problem is that I got a great deal on some BFG 295's and went ahead and bought them. The truck feels really sluggish with the 3.42 gears I have, so I want to replace them for 4.10's. I also plan to put in a Skyjacker 2" lift kit, and planned to wait until I put that in (probably another 6 months or so due to limited funds) to have the gears in the front diff replaced. Would it be okay to replace the rear gears now and not use the 4x4 until I have the front done? I understand I will destroy the T-case gears if I run it with different gears front/rear, but I'm curious if the there would be any complications with the NV246?

My last question has to do with the different brand of gears. There are so many different brands but I don't know which ones to get. Should I go with GM OE 4.10's, or are Precision, Superior or USGear better? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Alex

·
Registered
479 Posts
The simple answer is... does your front drive shaft spin while you're in 2WD? If so you'll grenade the t-case.

Personally I'd just pull the front shaft to be safe, keeps you from "accidently" going wheeling.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what gears would you go with for the front diff and who makes them?

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to go with 4.10's in the front as well to match the ratio in the rearend. I guess I'll go with whatever brand is recommended for me to use in the rear. I guess my main question with the different brands is whether or not there are any differences between them, such as materials used, quality of casting or machining, and gear pattern differences that leads to different driving characteristics. I guess to answer your question, I'm not sure what brand I'm going with yet, I was hoping for some input from those in the forum.

Alex

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I don't know a lot about gear sets but Richmond gears seem too have a good reputation from what I've heard. And yes you will be fine with two differant ratios as long as you keep it in 2WD, But like already mentioned I whould take out the front driveshaft too be absolutly safe.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Acosta-

I would sugjest getting a different rear axle rather than just putting 4:10's in your 10Bolt. When I garnaded the ring gear in my 10bolt in my 92 Sport 4x4 I said screw the 10bolt and went and got a 14-boltSM with 4:10's and a aburn posi. Best thing I ever did!!! The thing is to change gears in the rear you are at least looking at $500 if not more. And I know a new/rebuilt 14bolt will cost more(probably around $1000) but I have to say that there is no way you are going to kill that axle with 295's where with the 10-bolt you could. The axle is a direct bolt in also but you need a special U-joint because you have a 1/2ton drive shaft atatching to a 3/4ton axle. You can get them at any trany shop though so that isn't a big deal. One other good thing about going to the 14bolt, you get larger brakes that are a plus. The drums on the 10bolts are pretty small!!!!

Good luck...Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.