Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
I really like the quadratrac as well. On the street I drive around with the transfer case locked and the hubs unlocked. Off road I have can drive with the transfer case and hubs locked like everyone else. What I think is an advantage is I can also unlock the transfer case and have all four wheels being driven but let the front and rear turn the different speeds they need to. This beats either unlocking a hub or shifting the transfer case into rear wheel drive only to turn corners with the dual lockers in the axles. It also still works surprisingly well in the snow. I was driving around with the hubs locked and the transfer case unlocked and it worked just fine.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
I got around the AMC20 with the quadratrac by using a wagoneer dana 44 that also had the quadratrac. That with a widetrac dana 30 seems to be ok for me. If I were to build another jeep the only thing I would do different is instead of putting in the widetrac dana 30, I would have put in the dana 44 front from the same wagoneer. We'll see how long this front end lasts as is.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
I have swapped two wagoneer rears in and they both were easy. The spring pads do not need to be removed but the stock shock mounts do. I used a grinder to grind the welds and then hammered them off. The brake lines are the same just wider. You'll have to get some new line but it will bolt in. (3/16") I hooked up my vent hose to the axles fitting and bolted the brake lines down with the original hold downs. The only thing I didn't do was hook up the e-brake but it would hook up the same as the cj. (my cable on the drivers side isn't long enough with the lift.)

To set the spring pads, I just measured the angle of the pads and pinion on the axle I removed and then transfered this measurement to the new one.

As for unlocking one hub versus two, I have a lockright in the front so I need to unlock both or be in three wheel drive and bind the transfer case.

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
The dial in the glovebox isn't for the low range, it's the transfer case differential lock. The low range (if it had one) had a purely mechanical lever on the side of the trans hump in front of the drivers seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.