Off Roading Forums banner

Quadratec Valve Cover

452 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have one paranoid question about the Aluminum Finned valve cover that Quadratec offers. I noticed it appears to attach via bolts at the base of the valve cover. My stock plastic one attaches via 2 nuts on studs that come through the top of the cover, kinda like the stock air filter cover.

Is the 258 threaded to accept the valve cover? Or, is this apparently simple upgrade going to turn into a drilling/tapping affair, ( aka. a tow hook installation).

G
#3 ·
I haven't seen QT's new cover (except in the catalog). If it is like 4WDH's, then you will have to tap holes using a bottom tap. I did mine and it was quite easy. Use a donut magnet to keep the filings from going into the push rod passages in the head.

G
#4 ·
I just installed a Clifford chrome plated steel valve cover on my 74 this weekend. Whole job was done in an hour. It took more time to go find the correct bolts then to mount the cover. THe cover was $80 plus shipping from Leon Rosser Jeep. Careful with the bolts, however. The flange on the original steel cover I had bent downward, whereas the new cover bent upward. As a result, the existing, tapered bolts left approx. 1/8" clearance due to the reduced space on the upward bending flange. I just went to down to Autozone and bought those nifty chrome valve cover bolts with the long T handles on them. Went right in there, no problems, no tapping, no drilling.

Make sure to use the "3M Weatherstipping and gasket adhesive" as opposed to RTV Gasket maker. The RTV is a pain in the ass to use. The 3m stuff was quick, easy, not messy and bonded immediately to the surfaces.

So far, no leaks.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.