Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the jeep i'm looking at has quadratrack. is this a good system? is it strong? what kind of problems come up and how much to repair? are they durable?

thanks much, mark

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
do a search on quadratrack, this topic is brought up a lot!
In a nutshell, the quadratrack transfercase is strong and heavy, it's downfall is the fact that the chain gets stretched and begins to slip every few years or so depending on how you drive it (a new chain is only $100 though). Another downfall is the full time 4wd, really sucks gas around town but you can buy conversion kits to make it part-time for a small fee$$$!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Look at the thread about "Lockouts on a Quadra-Trac"./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
quadratrac heavy? i can lift mine with the reduction unit and oil without much problem and i'm a scrawny guy. i'd guess it weighs around 125 pounds. i can also take it out and put it in by myself. they are a good unit imho. just replace the chain when it starts jumping and go another 40k or so. mine has 152k behind a 304 and another 28k behind the 360. it's on its third chain (replaced twice) since i bought it with 90k miles.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Actually, I think he meant "heavy" as in beefy...which they are with the big chain. A non-lowrange unit weighs 85 lbs. With low range probably over a hundred./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.