Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wanna try and tune my q-jet to the new motor, but I'm unsure of a couple things.

How good of a job can I do w/ a Timing Light & Tach & Haynes manual w/ NO experience with tuning carburators?

I know how to set the timing, and I can probably figure out the idle speed; but the mixture and the choke setups confuse me.

Is there any good write-ups on tuning q-jets??

Anyone have the time to explain the basics to me??

Am I stupid to think about tuning it myself w/ no experience??

Thanks for all the help.

G

·
Re: QJET adjustment

I hate my q-jet. The mixture adj. is internal. It sucks it sucks it sucks I tell ya. I would think the timing is as straightforward as usual tho.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Re: QJET adjustment

QJets are a different breed of carb than any of the others. When tuned right they will make power with the best Holleys and Edelbrocks, run at angles the other carbs can't make it too without stalling, and get decent mpg because of the small primaries. Yeah, they are different than other carbs in their make up and tuning, but learning how to tune them gets you a lifetime supply of cast off QJets that work great for cheap.
Ask Jeff472 about it, he loves 'em and is pretty good at tuning them.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Jeff, I think I'll stick to setting the idle speed and the timing for now..

These q-jets confuse me and the last thing I need living up north is a screwed up carb. A full tune upis gonna have to wait until i get back home.

Thanks again man, that book sounds good, I'll haveta order that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.