Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have realized my gauges are fried when I tried to short the wires to the block and find any movement. I have a buddy who hasa used cluster from a late 70' cj. I have a 63 CJ. Will the gauges work with my gas and temp sending units?
Thanks for any help.
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I bought my 67 CJ-5 neither the temp or gas gauges worked. troubleshooting narrowed it down to bad gauges. Are you asking about swapping in the whole speedo assembly or just the inner gauges? I wanted to keep the slightly different look of the older speedo so I took it apart and swapped some gauges in I got from the junkyard(out of a 73 postal jeep). I don't know if the sender for the temp gauge would work or not, as mine was bad along with the gauge, but later model Cj senders are cheap(<$6)and threaded into the stock hole using a brass reducer. The fuel gauge worked with the existing sender in my under seat tank, which turned out to be good. Someone had also screwed up the amp and oil lights, which I also brought back into operation, giving me a completely functional cluster! By the way, the speedo faces of a 72 and 73 postal jeep are still in the local junkyard and I could get them for cheap if you are interested(sorry the gas-temp gauges are gone). I think they(the speedos) were slightly different than my 67 but also not like the later model ones.

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the cluster this afternoon.. I want to do the same thing and keep the old look, but get new gauges. That is great that the fuel gauge will work with the under seat tank. I hope that the temp gauge will work with my temp sender. I have the 225 v6. i will try to hook it up. if i do this will i risk screwing pu the newer gauges?
Thanks for the input
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "caloosa Jeeper" member

·
Registered
208 Posts
As long as the sender provides some resistance you shouldn't hurt anything, it just might not read accurately. Here is some info I got off the net at www.monsterslayer.com it is an awesome troubleshooting guide for cj gauges:
Temp sender resistance for jeeps with the 258 I6
73 ohms cold-test slightly warm a stone cold engine will read much higher.
36 ohms beginning of band
13 ohms end of band
9 ohms hot
So unplug your sender get out your ohm meter, start er up, and take some redings to wee what you got.
Good Luck

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just printed out that same web site last night. Really good information. I will give it a try anyway, i am not going to depend on it, i am getting a mechanical temp gauge in a few weeks anyway, i just wanted to have the luxury of having all my gauges work.
Thanks for your help
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "caloosa Jeeper" member

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.