Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to set my factory hardtop on my 80 CJ7 (it's never been on it since I bought it)and I was wodering what all is involved in securing it to the vechile. I have none of the mounting harware to do this. I've also got a brand new windshield frame on it if that makes a difference. What do I need to buy in order to put the top on correctly so I don't have to worry about it coming off and to prevent as much draft from coming in as I can. If someone has some spare hardware I would need and willing to sell please let me know. Thanks

Chad
80 CJ7
84 CJ7

I need of used Jeep parts for CJ7 project. List located below
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/boulevard/9920/usedjeepparts.html

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Chad there are 5 1/8" sheetmetal screws at the front that go in your windshield frame. On each side behind the doors are 4 5/16" bolts with square nuts to hold on the back.
Nothing fancy and they sell speedy aftermarket kits for the tops too.

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
The way these come mounted from the factory uses 5/16" bolts with rectangular nuts under the tub lip.
The rectangular nuts both spread out the grip area and you don't have to use a wrench to hold it.

There is also a row of sheet metal screws across the top of the windshield frame. I think these are a
number 8. Don't go oversize now, you'll need to do that in about 2 years and the next size in about 2
more years.

Some optional methods are to clamp the top to the body and to pop rivet the top to the windshield frame.

Oops, you didn't mention the doors, so I forgot. You'll need some striker plates with nut plates to hold
the doors shut.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now here is the easy way. Go to a camper dealer that sells truck bed caps, buy 4 of those clamps that hook under the lip and over the top. I think
I only paid like 8 bucks a piece and other than the screws in the front windshield its a quick removal.

· Registered
7,901 Posts
I used boat latches to hold the hardtop on the Scrambler. They never move and hold the top on, but then it's a 1/2 hard top for a Scrambler as well. It's nice to remove the hard top in about 2 minutes, faster than a TJ soft top.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other than the screws in the windshield, the top bolts down to the body and uses some flat stock aluminum with a threaded hole in it to mount under the lip at the edge of the body. I think that it 1/4" by 1" aluminum stock cut at two inches long. It is probably thicker, like a 3/8x1" I'm not sure. You could always get in there with a ruller and measure how wide the channel is under the lip of the body. Nothing special about them except for the threaded hole. Just cut the aluminum and then drill and tap threads into the hole.

Make sure you pick up some wether stripping. I use black foam weather stripping that is 1" wide and 1/4" thick on the tub and windshield frame before I put the top on. It really helps to keep the wind noise down and the cold air out.
good luck

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/ MPI and 4.0 head underway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.