Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a couple of people here have installed PSOM on their broncos. What all parts do you need to install one of these? How difficult is it to do?

I have searched and have not been able to find someone giving installation instructions.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
All you need is a rear axle with an ABS sensor, which you already have. Run the sensor wires to the PSOM's inputs & connect the power, switched power, & ground wires and it'll work fine. The hard part is carving your instrument cluster to hold it. Click on my signature and look in my "83 Bronco" album for the pictures of my cluster. There's a front shot of it in the "I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY NOW" thread.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: PSOM ??

I want a PSOM so that my speedo and odometer will read right. I figure I can do this cheaper than that superlift truspeed calibrator. I tried putting a different speedo gear in and had some problems with it.

I might not even put it in my cluster. I saw someone one superford that mounted it on top of the dash.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

I tried putting a different speedo gear in and had some problems with it.
What kind of problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It did fine for about the first 30 to 50 miles, then the speedo started jumping around and the tach started jumping causing it shift up and down while I was tring to stay at a constant speed on a flat road. I changed the speedo gears back and everything went back to normal. I don't know if it was a bad gear or what, but when I took it out the middle of the gear was dipped in all the way around.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

That's a little weird.

Not that I change speedo gears all the time, but when I have, I haven't experienced that problem.
Thought I'd ask what was up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have change the gears in a 84 F150 I had and never had any problems with it.

I don't know what happened this time.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Bad gears

Sounds like the plastic was too soft, and the drag in your 12-year-old speedo cable wore it out. That's what happened to my drive gear when I put a new driven gear in. Then when I replaced the drive gear, the cable started rattling from wear. So I got fed up & ditched every moving part except the needle!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts