Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to remove the diff cover on a late 70's Scout II D44...the bolts are pretty badly seized and my final attempt is going to be heating them. I have never done this before and I do NOT WANT to break the heads of the bolts off. So anyone who has a nice procedure for doing this please let me know!!!!

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have the torch but do I heat the bolts then let them cool and then remove them or do I remove them hot??? I fear that if I remove them hot I will rip the heads of the bolts and I do not want that!!!

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you heat them to red hot and then let them cool it will break the rust free. If you don't want to take the time to let them cool completely, just let them cool until they aren't red hot anymore then crank em out. Lots of penetrating oil in advance helps. Good luck,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The more you let them cool, the more they shrink back to normal size. The more they shrink, the more corrosion that is "broken".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, but since he said he is doing it tonight I figured he might not want to wait for them to cool completely.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never been able to get bolts red hot with a propane torch, let me know how it turns out. Maybe my tip is the correct type.

CB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The torch I used to use at a plastics manufacturing plant would get brass hot enought to melt it. It was just a propane torch but I think the tip you have on it makes a large difference.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I realize that this is like closing the barn door after the horse goes out, but LISTEN UP!!! The way to handle those bolts is to heat them with a small flame so the whole bolt can heat up. It takes some time for the heat to travel all the way, so be patient. Cherry red is about right. THEN.....DON'T TOUCH THEM till they have cooled TOTALLY. The idea is that once heated, the expansion will do two things...One, it will crush the rust; and Two, it will cause the bolt to shrink back FARTHER THAN IT WAS, and be loose enough to unscrew. Been there; done that; have t-shirt./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif (about a zillion times)

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to let you all know I didn't heat them up last night, I decided to take care of the front axle first and those bolts didn't need any heat just a little elbow grease and they came right out. I am rebuilding the entire front axle first so I won't be heating the bolts for another couple weeks, but I will let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the tips.

absolutjeep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.