Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just thought let ya'll know that I did decide to turn my ammo can into safe box for mounting my stereo. Once I got the idea started, everything seemed to fall into place. A few dirll holes, some bolts, a couple brackets, and a piece of all-thread later . . .
Last night, we (ecamp55 and I) put it together in sort of a mock-up fashion to make sure it was gonna work like we thought. Tonight we're gonna tighten everything up and get it mounted firmly in there. It looks as though it will work beautifully and the best part is (even after materials) I saved at least $175 compared to the Tuffy console.. I'll post pics of it soon.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'd like to see pictures when you are done.
In fact, if you'd like me to put pictures of it on my website, let me know.
I'm in the process of redesigning the whole page and one section will be on ammo box center consoles and different ways to make them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds great. The only thing I haven't figured out 100% yet is the way I'm gonna lock it. I've seen the way other ppl locked theirs, but mine seems to be set up a little differently for some reason.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just bent a loop (3/8" rod) in mine and shoved it through two drilled holes in the front. (top to bottom) then the latch closes around my loop. I then put a paddle lock through the loop. Also, I added a piano hinge the back. If the lid gets opened too far, it twists the thin rods that hold the latch on and then it is hard to get it to close easily again. If I had a camara, I would post a pic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ammo can is not quite as large as most of the ones that all you guys are using. When I bought it, there was already a hinge on one end, so I'm just keeping that one. And the front part latches differently. There is no way for mine to latch "over" anything. Thanks for the idea though. I might be able to use that when I buy my next can to use for tool storage.

What I think I'm going to do is cut a slot on the front of the latching mechanism so that and eyebolt will filt through vertically. Then i can just put a padlock on the eybolt.

Btw. I'm also thinking of buying a couple of smaller ammo cans to mod into speaker boxes. Does this sound plausible?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I just drove up to Harrys in NJ looking for an ammo can big enough for a center console. They didn't have any large ones, but I picked up a smaller one for my commuter car. It needed an armrest. I also looked on E-bay, no big ones. I think someone here referred to them as ammo cans for helicopters???? Anyone have any ideas where I can buy one of these biggies?

·
Registered
873 Posts
April-- I would think the little ones would work ideal for speaker boxes. I can't comment on the sound quality of metal boxes vs wood, but for security purposes they would be great.

JimmyZ--Yeah they are 20mm ammo boxes. I think the one I used for mine was a 30mm. Only difference is about 1-1.5" of width. In retrospect, the 20mm box would have worked better giving a little more room between the seats to make using the seatbelts easier. If you do a searc on the internet for "20mm ammo box" or just "ammo box" you will find sites that sell them. Shipping them might cost a few dollars, but still cheaper than buying a security console.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I bet if you fill those speaker boxes with some type of insulation then they would sound just like a wooden or plastic box.

there is a formula for the volume of the box also, relative to the reasonant freq of the speaker, to maximize the effenciency of the lower freq.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have two of the smaller ones,set up the same way as the console(with lock and hinge) mounted on my rear wheel wells for extra storeage they fit with no problem.And it gives you a little more lockable storage.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
a good idea I saw a while in back in one of the wheelin mags was to build a frame work using angle iron (2"x2" or so), basically a rectangle across the whole back of your jeep just nside the rear door (size the frame work to fit your ammo cans) and then mount ammo cans in the it and run a bar across the top of them and attach it to brackets on either end to secure the cans in place (use a padlock to lock the bar in place), gives you great storage that would be secure, pop the padlock, pull out the can you need . I plan on doing this in my scrambler, I will use the large ammo cans and maybe paint them to color code them and store tools, tire repair, spare parts, whatever in them....cheap securable trunk space./////

kerryp

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive been using the small ones, 30 cal?, as speaker boxes for about 10 years. They work great. The ones I'm using are about 4 - 5 inches wide. They sit on the rear fenderwells just about where an arm rest would be, right beside the roll cage. I left the handle on them and it gives the passanger a place to grab. They are water tight, and with a hasp on the flip up handle, they are lockable.

They do vibrate some if you crank it way up. but at 60 you can just barely hear them anyway. they also produce a tinny sound unless you stuff them with something.

To fix part of the vibration i took a piece of 1/4 in plywood and cut it to fit behind the slim line speakers inside the box. I usually carry towels, tp or a parka on the speaker side of the plywood. this seems to dampen it quit a bit. I had thought about porting them to relieve the pressure but then they wouldn't be waterproof.... resistant.

I use the other side of the plywood for storage. To give you an idea on how much stuff you can cram in them, heres the list of what is in mine all the time.

One has pliers, cresent wrench, screwdrivers, tire patch stuff, a dist cap, points, rotor, a spark plug, bailing wire, elec tape, about 10 ft of 10 ga wire, and fuses.

The other one has registration, insurance, Fire permit, forest service map, Gloves,Parka, 2 Trash bags, Flash Light, P38 can opener ,Matches, sun tan lotion

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used the M61 ammo can, I mounted two strap hinges to one end, then welded the nuts to the bolts inside. Then used another strap hinge to make a hasp for a padlock. A 7/16" u-bolt w/ a 1.5" depth made a great loop with two holes in the box.

What I found is that you can use the existing latch for a hasp, but be aware it's only held on by a small wire loop through the metal on the lid. I cut all the original metal latches off the can an welded a piece on the front behind the hasp so it'd be thicker.

Take a piece of plywood and upholster w/ some foam and vinyl, then screw it on from inside the lid to make the armrest a little more comfortable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do any of you have pics of the stereo mounted in the box? I like the idea of using one as a console, mainly because it locks. right now i have one made out of wood that isn't secure at all.

How wide are the big boxes? it sounds like you guys are mounting them between the front seats.

Also, do you think one would work... with mods... on the front fender as a control box for the OBW? I'm trying to figure out the best way to make water resistant control box. possibly with storage space.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should have some pics to put on here by Monday. But mine is a little smaller. I didn't want to use it as an armrest, just something inconspicuous to put my stereo in. But even with pics of the small one, it will give you an idea. The bigger ones will just give you more room.

Also- thank all of you for replying so much. Particularly about the idea of using the metal boxes for speakers. I wasn't sure how well it would work, but I definitely need the extra security. I will be driving it to school, and dont trust a bunch of college campus kids around my stuff. Haha.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know it will work. I love cheap fixes.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The 30mm ammo boxes are 9.5" wide. That is what I used and it's a tight squeeze. The 20mm amm boxes are about 8.5" wide and would fit much better than the 30mm.
If you go to my site and follow the ammo box console link it has the measurements of the 30mm box. I'm pretty sure the 20mm has the same measurements, with exception to the width as mentioned above.
I think an ammo box would work ideally for an OBW control box. The fact that they are secure and pretty weather proof is a good thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great pics. I think Im starting to get it. The cup holders are good idea too. Sure beats my wooden console.

Could you mount a stereo inside the box, on the front (latch end), or along one of the sides?

Guess you would have to open the box everytime you want to adjust the stereo... maybe not a good idea. And a cutout for the face cause you to loose your water resistance, and probably make it easier to rip off.

Interested in hearing how it has been done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.