Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my "jeep from scratch" idea is getting to me, the frame, i thought was done, but i ended up torching off every single bracket. i have the suspension done though, it is spring over with a shackle reversal.. i made the front like a tank.. i welded 4"X6" half inch thick angle iron across the front to make a bumper, to the bottom of that went a 4"xquarter inch plate from frame rail to frame rail, it also got welded to the angle iron..i had to torch a bit of the plate to fit around the tj steering box, but it looks great. i made solid mounts out quarter inch box steeland welded them to the plate..here's a hint.. drill the holes after it is welded, i had to re-drill mine anyway. the engine mounts were a little tricky, the frame is an inch wider and it is angled where the mounts needed to go. so a made 1/2" wedges out of plate steel and welded them in and welede the mounts to them.. it came out perfect, and the engine is about 2 inches lower than stock. today i am going to try to get the front dana 44 from a scout in.. lots of work.. i have the knuckles off and i am going to try to set up the caster and grind perches at the correct angle(one into the housing) then, when all the welding is done, i am going to pull the axle bach out and install all the bearings, seals, detroit locker, and 4.56 gears i bought. I am doing all this entirely on my own(well jeepgod helps). i am planning a trip april 15-16, so i need to get some work done this weekend. i have also decided on a tf 727 for a tranny since i can tow the jeep and don't have to run on the highway much.....wish me luck.

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Sounds like you've got yourself into one hell of a project. I am anxious to see pictures of the rig. Remember to take pics as you go. I'm sure there are a lot of us that would like to see pics from the ground up.

Good luck!!
Axlesupagain
98TJ 35's 4.56 detroits lots of stuff
96XJ 31's 3.73 lockright and not as much stuff

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some of the pics are on my buddy's web page
www.jeepgod.net
i'll post others as i go.. i didn't get the dana 44 all the way in today.. maybe tommorrow.. i have lots of pics, i'll post them when the jeep runs and i have time!!!!!!!!!... right now i have too moany white russians in me to worry about it....

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.